* Ada Dot Net ?
@ 2002-03-29  4:57 WJT
From: WJT @ 2002-03-29  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know this is probably an old and sore subject but I have to ask. Does
anyone know if any of the Ada vendors (the few left) are developing an Ada95
compiler for the MS Dot Net Environment?

Before all you GNAT/Linux freaks start ganging up on me, save it.

The reason I want to know is that I have been developing in C# lately. I
started using the command line compiler that comes free with the SDK. And
believe it or not I was generating some impressive GUI applications using
nothing more than a text editor. I do not attribute this to the superiority
of the C# language, I attribute it to the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and
its class libraries that make Windows programming .... well, actually
enjoyable. As a matter of fact, because of the class libraries C#, VB and
any other 'OO' language all look pretty similar on the Dot Net platform (and
pretty simple as well).

For the first time I have to say that MS has actually come close to hitting
the mark, they have actually done something that has benefited the
developer. The entire OS (or 99% of it) is available as an OO class library!
I just can't help but think that having an Ada95 compiler in such an
environment could only benefit Ada as a whole. For the first time Ada would
be on a level playing field with all of the other languages on that
development platform.

The real reason that I would like to have an Ada95 compiler on such a
platform (and hopefully developed as a plug-in for MS Visual Studio) is
well...just because. Because I've dedicated over 20 years of my life to the
little lady (mostly using her in embedded systems) and would really like to
see here catch the boat this time.

It's just that I'm seeing Visual COBOL and Visual FORTRAN compilers
integrated into the Dot Net environment (and MS Visual Studio) and I have a
bad case of 'class envy'!!! For 20 years I've suffered from a bad case of
API envy, but now it's class envy!!!

And look, before all of  you start flaming me with a bunch of crap about
portable GUI interfaces, the evils of the Gates Empire, just stop before you
even get started. Your dealing with someone who has spent thousands of
dollars over the years purchasing all of the PC based Ada compilers that the
industry could conjure up, someone who has programmed GUI's at the X Windows
Tool Kit level (in Ada), all the way down to scrapping the metal of the
packed pixel frame buffers (via Ada 2D arrays mapped with 'for use' at
clauses). When it comes to Ada development I have no problem saying that I
have been there and I have done that, period. I know what I want, and I know
what is needed.

I have earned the right to say that as far as I'm concerned Ada has always
missed the mark, has always fallen short of the other languages when it
comes to MS Windows development environments and tools. I would just like to
see a vendor fully embrace what may be the last chance to 'get it right'
when it comes to providing an Ada solution for serious MS Windows
application development. If there is any vendor out their even attempting
such an undertaking then God Bless and God Speed !!!

William J. Thomas

P.S. Just for the record, when it comes to Cross Compilers for Embedded
Systems nothing in the industry even comes close to Ada, not even close. Ada
has made programming large real-time embedded systems an absolute pleasure,
a pure joy compared to any other language in existence !!! If you have to
take it from the metal up and make it fly, there's nothing like Ada!!!

* Re: Ada Dot Net ?
@ 2002-03-30  2:08 Alexandre E. Kopilovitch
From: Alexandre E. Kopilovitch @ 2002-03-30  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"WJT" <bthomas@aisvt.bfg.com> wrote:
>The reason I want to know is that I have been developing in C# lately. I
>started using the command line compiler that comes free with the SDK. And
>believe it or not I was generating some impressive GUI applications using
>nothing more than a text editor. I do not attribute this to the superiority
>of the C# language, I attribute it to the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and
>its class libraries that make Windows programming .... well, actually
>enjoyable.

That your excitement clearly shows that you have no previous experience with
Borland Delphi. Well. it isn't suprising that the chief architect of Delphi,
and the author of C#, and probably one of the main architectcs of the .NET is
the same person.

>The entire OS (or 99% of it) is available as an OO class library!

This is a huge overstatement, I think. It may be so for major part of GUI and
some broad classes of services, but very far from "entire OS".

>The real reason that I would like to have an Ada95 compiler on such a
>platform (and hopefully developed as a plug-in for MS Visual Studio) is
>well...just because. Because I've dedicated over 20 years of my life to the
>little lady (mostly using her in embedded systems) and would really like to
>see here catch the boat this time.

This isn't a technical reason. And Ada tries to follow the technical reasons.

>I know what I want, and I know what is needed.

Well, then, perhaps, you can express that in technical terms?

>P.S. Just for the record, when it comes to Cross Compilers for Embedded
>Systems nothing in the industry even comes close to Ada, not even close. Ada
>has made programming large real-time embedded systems an absolute pleasure,
>a pure joy compared to any other language in existence !!!

Well, good. Every programming language has its "virtual machine", sometimes
more or less specified explicitly, sometimes hidden. Ada is unique (at least
among the standartized languages) in that respect: there are TWO different
virtual machines - one for a host, and another for a target. And when you
speak about CLR you touch the target virtual machine, while when you speak
about Visual Studio plug-in, you touch the host virtual machine.
  It isn't clear from your speech, which one you consider most important to be
plugged to the .NET .

Wes Groleau <wesgroleau@despammed.com> wrote:
>.Net and C# are basically an attempt to make a
>Microsoft-controlled alternative to Java.

That may be partially true, but notice, that "Microsoft-controlled" is
secondary, while "alternative to Java" is primary, and very desirable thing
- not for Microsoft only.

>I'd like to see Ada on .Net, but I know that
>Gates & Co. will do everything they can get away
>with to make it incompatible with any other Ada,
>just like they did with Java.

This surely will be so for Microsoft Visual Ada++, but not for an independent
vendor, For example,

"WJT" <bthomas@aisvt.bfg.com> wrote:
>The Ada95 language definition has enough flexibility to fit on the .Net
>platform through the use of  'allowable and documented restrictions',
>implementation defined attributes, pragmas and of course there is always
>implementation specific packages.

Ada95 does not have enough flexibility to fit immediately on a platform which
have many vaguely specified but still powerful features. Don't forget, that
Microsoft always stands for "freedom for innovation", which effectively means
"no guarantee for any feature".

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia