From: Ray Blaak <blaak@infomatch.com>
Subject: Re: UML Ada modeling question
Date: 2000/04/12
Date: 2000-04-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"David Kristola" <David95037@See-My.Sig> writes:
> Object Team (a.k.a. COOL:Jex) does not allow nesting of UML packages,
> and if we had used a subsystem per package, well, it would have been
> a nighmare.  I don't know how it would have turned out if we had used
> Rose.

This seems to me to be a unnecessary and irritating limitation. Hierarchical
namespaces are a critical ability for any large system, especially when
mapping to a language like Ada that has it.

At any rate, Object Team is not adhering to the UML standard. A package is
explicitly specified as a namespace that can contain, among other things, sub
packages.

I suppose you can "fake" by naming your packages with a dot syntax, e.g. Root,
Root.Child, etc, but things just compose better with true hierarchies,
especially considering visiblity to parent names, etc. Of course, your
solution works too.

--
Cheers,                                        The Rhythm is around me,
                                               The Rhythm has control.