From: "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk>
Subject: Re: GLADE + s-stratt.adb + GtkAda problem.
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:56:08 +0000
Date: 2003-11-13T15:56:08+00:00	[thread overview]

Rod Kay wrote:
>     I believe that a different s-stratt.adb exists for GLADE to correct
> streams to cater for different 'Endian-ess' (one exists in the new
> /usr/local/lib/garlic directory, created by GLADE install), but it would
> seem that when I rebuild GtkAda the original s-stratt.adb/ali is being
> used, instead of the GLADE version. As a last resort, I tried adding the
> 'garlic' directory to the start of my ADA_OBJECTS_PATH before I rebuilt
> GtkAda, but to no avail.
>
>     If anyone has experienced a similar problem, any advice would be
> very helpful.

Yes.  I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.

I seem to remember solving it simply by deleting the new s-stratt.adb file
that comes with GLADE, and removing the references to it in the appropriate
Makefile.  When you rebuild GLADE, you get libraries that seem to work
OK, but won't necessarily work in heterogenous systems.

I did find some (slightly) helpful pages through Google.

If you want to use the GLADE s-stratt.adb, you will probably have to recompile
lots of stuff - I tried this, but had some problems (and it takes an age).

I have found that GLADE - based applications work well and are very easy
to design and build.  But occasionally I have had problems trying to build
a really robust system (capable of surviving reboots, crashes etc).
Like you (I guess?), I am also using GtkAda/Glade, and this integrates
fairly nicely into the whole system.

I now use GLADE in a mission critical, real-time application, and overall, I am
a satisfied "customer".  Let us know how you get on!
--
Dr. Adrian Wrigley, Cambridge, UK.