From: Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Conflicting statements about GPS?
Date: 22 Oct 2002 17:46:40 -0400
Date: 2002-10-22T21:57:43+00:00	[thread overview]

Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com> writes:

> Well, as a beta tester of GPS, there is nothing I have received from ACT
> to indicate that GPS would not be made freely available. We have a copy
> under our support contract and the beta agreement. We have not yet asked
> for source code - we are quite willing to wait until it is released -
> thank you.

I'm also a beta user of GPS.

The fact that ACT distributes binaries, but not source, is I think a
violation of the GPL. I suspect I could force them to give me source
if I really wanted to.

However, I'm not going to complain, because GPS is _not_ ready to be
released; it has bugs, it is missing important features. Releasing it
now would do more harm than good.

I'd far rather ACT take time to get it right, than release it
prematurely to the unsuspecting public. I also want them to reserve
resources for fixing bugs in the compiler, which is what I really care
about!

--
-- Stephe