From: Matthew Heaney <matthewjheaney@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Apostrophe question
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 02:48:19 GMT
Date: 2007-05-02T02:48:19+00:00	[thread overview]

David Smith <david.smith@gmail.com> writes:

> Father : Person_Access := new Person'(Father_First_Name,
> Father_Last_Name);

You're comparing apples and oranges.  You could have said:

  Father : Person_Access := new Person;  -- not initialized

and then it would be analogous to what you have below.  The difference is
whether the object you're constructing is explicitly initialized.

> but not here:
>
> type Float_Array is array(Integer range <>) of Float;
> type Float_Array_Access is access Float_Array;
> V : Float_Array_Access := new Float_Array(1 .. 3);

But you could have said:

  V : Float_Array_Access := new Float_Array'(1 .. 3 => 42.0);

and it would be analogous to what you have above.

> I'm sure there is a page about this somewhere, but I can't find it.
> If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

The difference is whether you specify a value for the object explicitly.