From: Ray Blaak <rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net>
Subject: Re: C Macros and their equivalent in Ada
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:16:58 GMT
Date: 2008-09-10T00:16:58+00:00	[thread overview]

"RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com" <RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a similar solution implemented. thanks. was just trying to
> figure out if there was anything recent.

I would argue that generating the version file explicitly from a build script
is actually superior to __DATE__/__TIME__ macros, since the actual compilation
build time is often inconsistent.

If the version file has not actually changed in a while, for example, typical
build environments just use the last object file, meaning the datestamps can
be quite obsolete and thus inaccurate.

By tying it to the build script, you can do things like saying "make a
official release NOW", and know that the version datestamp is tied to that
explicit action.

This is important to allow one to correlate the datestamp to changelongs,
release notes, etc.
--
Cheers,                                        The Rhythm is around me,
                                               The Rhythm has control.