From: "Matthew Heaney" <mheaney@on2.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Components - GRACE Lists (Sorting them)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:09:11 -0500
Date: 2002-03-01T19:09:11-05:00	[thread overview]

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
news:4519e058.0202260859.4ecde69f@posting.google.com...
> When I do finally manage to find a suitable forum to publish the
> implmentation I have, we should certianly encourage folks to play with
> the algorithm, modify it, analayze the results, and report their
> findings for discussion. But again, I don't think we should waste a
> huge amount of effort on it, because this isn't the sort that will
> really matter. That one will be in the "Maps" package, and will
> probably have to be some kind of tree-based sort.

In the Charles data structure and algorithm library, I included a quicksort
to sort arrays (using the median-of-3 technique), and another to do a stable
sort of a list.  I haven't tried to do any other optimizations or anything.

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/charles-generic_quicksort_
_ads.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/charles-unbounded_lists-ge
neric_quicksort__ads.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles-20020228.zip

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/

Note that in Charles, the map and set types are implemented using a
red-black tree, so they're already sorted.