From: Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Using Windows GNAT with Cygwin
Date: 16 May 2001 15:41:18 -0400
Date: 2001-05-16T19:57:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Thore B. Karlsen <eightbit@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> On 15 May 2001 17:03:27 -0400, Stephen Leake
> <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> >> I've been looking around for FAQs on this, but to no avail.
> >>
> >> I have Cygwin installed, but I installed the Windows port of GNAT
> >> because I want to create standalone executables that don't need the
> >> Cygwin library. The problem is, of course, that GNAT and Cygwin have
> >> their own sets of compilers. So how would I go about getting gnatmake to
> >> use its own gcc and other tools, and not Cygwin's tools?
>
> >Set PATH appropriately. There is also one registry setting that Cygwin
> >and GNAT fight over;
> >
> >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Free Software Foundation
> >
> >The simplest way to manage this is to use the Registry Editor to
> >export this key (to a .reg file) after installing Cygwin, and again
> >after installing GNAT. Then run the appropriate .reg file when you
> >need to run the compiler.
>
> Thanks. I added the GNAT bin dir to the Windows path, but I guess I need
> to add it to the Cygwin path as well, before /bin. I was just hoping
> there would be a more elegant solution.

What would be more elegant?

> >This use of the registry is totally inappropriate, as far as I can
> >tell. It just gets in the way.
>
> Most use of the registry is totally inappropriate, in my opinion. I
> never use it myself, and I wish the whole registry concept a quick
> death.

Well, I would not go that far. It is useful for install, update
install, and uninstall information. It is also useful for global id
stuff for DCom.

I just think things that might need to be different in different
processes should not be in the registry, or should at least be
overridden by environment variables.

Certainly two incompatible products should not use the same registry
entry, which is what is happening here!

--
-- Stephe