* Free Ada compiler?
@ 2001-07-20  1:39 tinh trinh
From: tinh trinh @ 2001-07-20  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a free Ada compiler for Windows NT?

Thanks

* Re: Free Ada compiler?
@ 2001-07-20  2:51 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-07-20  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <fZL57.1484$OK2.297033@news20.bellglobal.com>, "tinh trinh" <tinhtrinh@sympatico.ca> writes:
> Is there a free Ada compiler for Windows NT?

There are several.  See http://www.AdaPower.com.

* free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-09 19:06 hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-09 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there such a unix version compiler (better can be installed on Cygwin) ?
Thanks

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-09 20:22 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-09 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0500, hongxun lee wrote:
> Is there such a unix version compiler (better can be installed on Cygwin) ?

GNAT check http://www.gnuada.org/

if you want it for Windows check: http://www.adapower.com/windows/

You will find most resources by visiting: http://www.adapower.com/

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-10  1:22   ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-10  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks

Has anybody installed  gnat-3.13p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin on your Cygwin or
similar unix os?
I ran its setup script (named 'doconfig', originally in Csh, and i just
changed the first line to Tcsh since Csh is not included in Cygwin
distribution yet) on Cygwin, and the err msg is:

./xgcc: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
./xgcc: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

The script 'doconfig' is attached. Sorry for inconvience.

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0500, hongxun lee wrote:
> > Is there such a unix version compiler (better can be installed on
Cygwin) ?

> GNAT check http://www.gnuada.org/
>
> if you want it for Windows check: http://www.adapower.com/windows/
>
> You will find most resources by visiting: http://www.adapower.com/
>
> Preben
> --
>  ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
> '||}
> {||'                                           http://www.amnesty.org/

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-10  6:38     ` Gerhard Häring
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2002-01-10  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

hongxun lee wrote in <a1iqe3$dkj$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>:
> Thanks
>
> Has anybody installed  gnat-3.13p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin on your Cygwin or
> similar unix os?

This file is for Linux and Linux only.

> I ran its setup script (named 'doconfig', originally in Csh, and i just
> changed the first line to Tcsh since Csh is not included in Cygwin
> distribution yet) on Cygwin, and the err msg is:

There is no GNAT version for Cygwin.

If you want to have an Ada compiler for Windows, the installer from the
winnt directory at ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt is what you
need. The adagide installer at the same location is a simple IDE that
you may find useful.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-12 10:05 ` Thomas Mueller
From: Thomas Mueller @ 2002-01-12 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0500, hongxun lee wrote:
> Is there such a unix version compiler (better can be installed on Cygwin) ?

There is GNAT, available for Linux i386 and a few other Unixes, MS-Windows and
OpenVMS too.  I am not familiar with Cygwin.

Does anybody know if GNAT can be cross-compiled for a platform where there is no
GNAT binary currently available?  For instance, Linux on non-i386, or NetBSD on
i386 and non-i386.

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-14 14:48   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-01-14 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thomas Mueller" <tmueller@bluegrass.net> writes:

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0500, hongxun lee wrote:
> > Is there such a unix version compiler (better can be installed on Cygwin) ?
>
> There is GNAT, available for Linux i386 and a few other Unixes,
> MS-Windows and OpenVMS too. I am not familiar with Cygwin.

Cygwin is a Unix environment for MS-Windows, implementing all the Gnu
tools. See http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin. It works quite well, but
ACT decided to use a different approach to implement GNAT on Windows.

> Does anybody know if GNAT can be cross-compiled for a platform where
> there is no GNAT binary currently available? For instance, Linux on
> non-i386, or NetBSD on i386 and non-i386.

Yes, GNAT can be built as a cross-compiler. That is the only way to
put it on a platform for which you do not have a binary. However, you
must know what you are doing, and the build instructions that come
with the source are not particularly helpful; it can take some
experimentation. This situation may improve when GNAT is released on
gcc 3.1.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-14 22:28     ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-14 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cygwin is a Unix environment for MS-Windows, implementing all the Gnu
> tools. See http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin. It works quite well, but
> ACT decided to use a different approach to implement GNAT on Windows.

 So 'gnat-3.13p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin' is definitely  *not*  for Cygwin?
Thanks

"Stephen Leake" <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message
> "Thomas Mueller" <tmueller@bluegrass.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0500, hongxun lee wrote:
> > > Is there such a unix version compiler (better can be installed on
Cygwin) ?

> > There is GNAT, available for Linux i386 and a few other Unixes,
> > MS-Windows and OpenVMS too. I am not familiar with Cygwin.
>
> Cygwin is a Unix environment for MS-Windows, implementing all the Gnu
> tools. See http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin. It works quite well, but
> ACT decided to use a different approach to implement GNAT on Windows.
>
> > Does anybody know if GNAT can be cross-compiled for a platform where
> > there is no GNAT binary currently available? For instance, Linux on
> > non-i386, or NetBSD on i386 and non-i386.
>
> Yes, GNAT can be built as a cross-compiler. That is the only way to
> put it on a platform for which you do not have a binary. However, you
> must know what you are doing, and the build instructions that come
> with the source are not particularly helpful; it can take some
> experimentation. This situation may improve when GNAT is released on
> gcc 3.1.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15  3:51       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-01-15  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> wrote in message news:<a1vm3b$8g8$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>...

>  So 'gnat-3.13p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin' is definitely
> *not*  for Cygwin? Thanks

That is correct. We did try building with Cygwin at one
point, but abandoned this for three reasons:

a) there were significant stability problems in Cygwin at
the time. This may of course have improved.

b) the license at the time (I do not know if this has
changed) was not suitable, since for something this basic,
we really wanted something with the modified GPL (at least
at the time, as I say it may have changed, Cygwin was under
the GPL, and to use it in non-Free Software, you had to
buy the proprietary version). Given that EVERY program
uses this library, we saw this as too restrictive.

c) We found that mingwin was lighter and worked better,
and did not have a license problem.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15  3:59         ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-15  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> c) We found that mingwin was lighter and worked better,
> and did not have a license problem.

A stupid Q: what's mingwin? i saw it very recently. Something similar to
Cygwin?

"Robert Dewar" <dewar@gnat.com> wrote in message
> "hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> wrote in message
>
> >  So 'gnat-3.13p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin' is definitely
> > *not*  for Cygwin? Thanks
>
> That is correct. We did try building with Cygwin at one
> point, but abandoned this for three reasons:
>
> a) there were significant stability problems in Cygwin at
> the time. This may of course have improved.
>
> b) the license at the time (I do not know if this has
> changed) was not suitable, since for something this basic,
> we really wanted something with the modified GPL (at least
> at the time, as I say it may have changed, Cygwin was under
> the GPL, and to use it in non-Free Software, you had to
> buy the proprietary version). Given that EVERY program
> uses this library, we saw this as too restrictive.
>
> c) We found that mingwin was lighter and worked better,
> and did not have a license problem.
>

> Robert Dewar
> Ada Core Technologies

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15 14:36           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-01-15 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> writes:

> A stupid Q: what's mingwin? i saw it very recently. Something similar to
> Cygwin?

http://www.mingw.org/

MinGW (the "win" was changed to "w" a while ago) is a binding to the
Windows API, that uses POSIX-ish names. It lets POSIX-ish programs
(like the Gnu tools) be compiled for the native Windows runtime,
without any additional code.

Cygwin is similar, but adds code to do some emulation stuff for pipes,
file system links, and other stuff not present in the Windows runtime.
So Cygwin can support a broader range of applications, but Mingw is
lighter weight.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15 16:13             ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Stephe

i read the docs there though i can't really figure out the diff yet.
My Q really is that i want to use the unix version Ada compiler (i've been
using the windows version for a while) without losing the convenience of
windows.
Does MinGW make sense ?

> "hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> writes:
>
> > A stupid Q: what's mingwin? i saw it very recently. Something similar to
> > Cygwin?
>
> http://www.mingw.org/
>
> MinGW (the "win" was changed to "w" a while ago) is a binding to the
> Windows API, that uses POSIX-ish names. It lets POSIX-ish programs
> (like the Gnu tools) be compiled for the native Windows runtime,
> without any additional code.
>
> Cygwin is similar, but adds code to do some emulation stuff for pipes,
> file system links, and other stuff not present in the Windows runtime.
> So Cygwin can support a broader range of applications, but Mingw is
> lighter weight.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15 16:14             ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Stephe

i read the docs there though i can't really figure out the diff yet.
My Q really is that i want to use the unix version Ada compiler (i've been
using the windows version for a while) without losing the convenience of
windows.
Does MinGW make sense ?

"Stephen Leake" <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message
> "hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> writes:
>
> > A stupid Q: what's mingwin? i saw it very recently. Something similar to
> > Cygwin?
>
> http://www.mingw.org/
>
> MinGW (the "win" was changed to "w" a while ago) is a binding to the
> Windows API, that uses POSIX-ish names. It lets POSIX-ish programs
> (like the Gnu tools) be compiled for the native Windows runtime,
> without any additional code.
>
> Cygwin is similar, but adds code to do some emulation stuff for pipes,
> file system links, and other stuff not present in the Windows runtime.
> So Cygwin can support a broader range of applications, but Mingw is
> lighter weight.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15 18:51               ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2002-01-15 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> writes:

> My Q really is that i want to use the unix version Ada compiler (i've been
> using the windows version for a while) without losing the convenience of
> windows.

If you want a unix version of Ada, you need to run a version of unix.

> Does MinGW make sense ?

Not at all. Mingw is native windows, cygwin emulates a posix environment
on top of it, to ease porting applications to Windows. Neither is unix.

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15 21:20               ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-01-15 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> writes:

> Thanks Stephe
>
> i read the docs there though i can't really figure out the diff yet.
> My Q really is that i want to use the unix version Ada compiler

What does that mean exactly? GNAT has the same command line switches,
whatever platform it is on. What do you mean by "unix version Ada
compiler"?

> (i've been using the windows version for a while) without losing the
> convenience of windows.

What is it about Unix that is inconvenient? You can run bash, make,
and Emacs on each platform, you can use GtkAda for GUI stuff on each
platform. What are your issues?

> Does MinGW make sense ?

Yes. So does Cygwin. Depends on what you are doing.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-15 22:08                 ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the misleading Qs.

> What do you mean by "unix version Ada compiler"?
Is there an Ada compiler running under Cygwin or mingw? Not the GNAT Ada95
compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) for windows.

> What is it about Unix that is inconvenient?
i'm a beginner of unix, haven't got used to the command line format of unix
yet. That is what i really mean.

> > Does MinGW make sense ?
> Yes. So does Cygwin. Depends on what you are doing.

Is there Ada compiler running under Cygwin or mingw? Not the Ada95
compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) for windows.

Thank you

> "hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> writes:
>
> > Thanks Stephe
> >
> > i read the docs there though i can't really figure out the diff yet.
> > My Q really is that i want to use the unix version Ada compiler
>
> What does that mean exactly? GNAT has the same command line switches,
> whatever platform it is on. What do you mean by "unix version Ada
> compiler"?
>
> > (i've been using the windows version for a while) without losing the
> > convenience of windows.
>
> What is it about Unix that is inconvenient? You can run bash, make,
> and Emacs on each platform, you can use GtkAda for GUI stuff on each
> platform. What are your issues?
>
> > Does MinGW make sense ?
>
> Yes. So does Cygwin. Depends on what you are doing.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-16  2:18                   ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 2002-01-16  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since you repeated the phrase:
  compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) twice, it occurs to me... perhaps you are
confused.

AdaGide is NOT a compiler.  AdaGide is an IDE that invokes a compiler.

You can certainly invoke GNAT from the command line or a number of other
IDE's.

From windows you can open up a command prompt and type:

  gnatmake hello

To create an executable from the source file hello.adb.

Is there some reason GNAT does not satisfy your needs?  I'm curious to know.

SteveD

> Sorry for the misleading Qs.
>
> > What do you mean by "unix version Ada compiler"?
> Is there an Ada compiler running under Cygwin or mingw? Not the GNAT Ada95
> compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) for windows.
>
> > What is it about Unix that is inconvenient?
> i'm a beginner of unix, haven't got used to the command line format of
unix
> yet. That is what i really mean.
>
> > > Does MinGW make sense ?
> > Yes. So does Cygwin. Depends on what you are doing.
>
> Is there Ada compiler running under Cygwin or mingw? Not the Ada95
> compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) for windows.
>
> Thank you

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-16  2:49                     ` hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-01-16  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now i have already known that  I am really confused, and have confused
others as well. Sorry
I mistook AdaGide as GNAT..

"Steve Doiel" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> wrote in message
> Since you repeated the phrase:
>   compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) twice, it occurs to me... perhaps you
are
> confused.
>
> AdaGide is NOT a compiler.  AdaGide is an IDE that invokes a compiler.
>
> You can certainly invoke GNAT from the command line or a number of other
> IDE's.
>
> From windows you can open up a command prompt and type:
>
>   gnatmake hello
>
> To create an executable from the source file hello.adb.
>
> Is there some reason GNAT does not satisfy your needs?  I'm curious to
know.

> SteveD
>
> "hongxun lee" <lee.1801@osu.edu> wrote in message
> > Sorry for the misleading Qs.
> >
> > > What do you mean by "unix version Ada compiler"?
> > Is there an Ada compiler running under Cygwin or mingw? Not the GNAT
Ada95
> > compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) for windows.
> >
> > > What is it about Unix that is inconvenient?
> > i'm a beginner of unix, haven't got used to the command line format of
> unix
> > yet. That is what i really mean.

> > > Yes. So does Cygwin. Depends on what you are doing.
> >
> > Is there Ada compiler running under Cygwin or mingw? Not the Ada95
> > compiler/debugger (adagide/gdb) for windows.
> >
> > Thank you

* Re: free Ada compiler ?
@ 2002-01-16 18:00               ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-01-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let's try this.

On Windows to build Ada code you need an Ada compiler. That's the big news :)
The GNAT compiler (aka GNU/Ada) has, on Windows, 2 choices:

1) Use MingW to build executable.

   This can be seen as Native Windows compared to Cygwin. MingW based
   executable will used only standard Win32 DLL like kernel32.dll,
   advapi32.dll.

   => This is what every other Ada compiler do on Windows, except that they
   use Microsoft runtime and startup code instead of MingW.

2) Use Cygwin to build executable.

   Cygwin is a complete POSIX layer for Windows. Executables built on top of
   Cygwin does not use standard Win32 DLL directly. All calls are directed to
   cygwin.dll services. This is the only way to achieve full POSIX semantics
   on Windows.

GNAT is based on MingW and is capable of building only MingW executable. It is
also good to note that MingW based executable are faster than Cygwin based
ones.

Hope all this is clear.

Pascal.

--|