From: "Matthew Heaney" <mheaney@on2.com>
Subject: Re: component libraries
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:13:38 -0500
Date: 2002-02-21T19:13:38-05:00	[thread overview]

"Matthew Heaney" <mheaney@on2.com> wrote in message
news:u75uk4emkto526@corp.supernews.com...
> Actually, I just released an alpha version of "charles", a data structure
> library based on the C++ STL.  The library includes lists (monolithic),
> unbounded arrays, sets, multisets, maps, and multimaps.
>
> I sent it to David B but he hasn't hosted it at adapower yet.  If you're
> interested, I can send you a zip file directly.

I just posted this on my (very minimal) home page at Earthlink:

http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles-20020213.zip

Below is a copy of the readme.

Charles Data Structure Library
2002/02/13

Charles is a data structure and algorithm library for Ada95, modeled on the
C++ STL.

This is an alpha release, so it is not done.  The purpose of this release is
to solicit comment from the Ada community.

A list of packages is included below.  Try using some of them, and please
drop me a line if you have any questions.

I have only a single algorithm (quicksort) done.  More are on the way.  I
wanted to get a minimal subset of data structures done first.

You can reach me at the following email address:

<mailto:mheaney@on2.com>

If you have any opinions (positive or negative) about the direction I have
taken with the library, please let me know.

If you're interested in doing some work on the library, let me know.

I haven't put headers or anything in the files yet.  For now I'll release
them using the GNAT Modified GPL license.

Thanks,
Matt

charles
The root of the subsystem.

charles-access_control
Implements the equivalent of the C++ auto_ptr class.

charles-unbounded_lists
charles-bounded_lists
charles-limited_bounded_lists
charles-limited_unbounded_lists
Implements a container optimized for constant-time insertion and removal (a
monolithic doubly-linked list).

charles-unbounded_lists-generic_quicksort
Stable sort of an unbounded list.  I still need to add this for the bounded
form.

charles-unbounded_arrays
charles-limited_unbounded_arrays
Like an STL vector.  Still need bounded form.

charles-unbounded_arrays-generic_modification
charles-unbounded_arrays-generic_selection
Passive iterators.

charles-bounded_sets
charles-unbounded_sets
Stores items that are their own key.

charles-bounded_maps
charles-unbounded_maps
charles-limited_bounded_maps
charles-limited_unbounded_maps
Associates a key with a value.

charles-unbounded_indefinite_maps
charles-unbounded_indefinite_sets
A bit of an experiment.  To allow a client to use an indefinite type (e.g.
String) as the key.  Let me know what you think.  If there's interest we can
provide the other forms.

charles-bounded_multisets
charles-unbounded_multisets
A set that accetps duplicate keys.

charles-bounded_multimaps
charles-unbounded_multimaps
charles-limited_bounded_multimaps
charles-limited_unbounded_multimaps
A map that accepts duplicate keys.

charles-default_pools
charles-default_pools-objects
Provides a pool type and a pool object you can use to instantiate unbounded
forms.  (Right now the type is implemented as a derivation of
GNAT.Debug_Pools.)

charles-double_lists
Doubly-linked list used to implement list containers.

charles-red_black_trees
Red-black tree used to implement sets and maps.

charles-dynamic_pools
charles-static_pools
Examples of types that derive from Root_Storage_Pool.

charles-generic_quicksort
Generic sort algorithm that accepts random-access iterators.

integer_lists.ads
unbounded_string_maps.ads
Examples of instantiation.