From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada 2022 Language Reference Manual to be Published by Springer
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 02:49:12 -0500	[thread overview]

Actually, paragraph numbers weren't allowed back in the Ada 83/Ada 95 days.
So the original ISO versions didn't have them. You can use them in ISO
documents now (I don't know when this changed), but you have to get a
special waiver to do so - for *every* individual standard that you want to
have them (that's a recent change, for the worse). And if we added them to
the ISO version (after getting the appropriate waiver -- which I didn't know
about for this last round of standardization), they'd be different than the
ones in the RM (because they wouldn't allow versioning or inserted numbers).
That doesn't seem helpful to me, YMMV.

ISO no longer lets us be compatible with the clause numbering of previous
versions -- ALL standards have to follow their numbering for initial stuff.
They've also changed from requiring not using Annexes I and O (since they're
easily confused with chapters (nope, now sections (nope, now clauses)) -- to
requiring having Annexes I and O.

Bob Duff explained it best: The people maintaining the "standards for
standards" have made no attempt to keep upward compatibilty in their work
(unlike us Ada people). Every standard in existence has to be changed
substantially with each new edition in order to meet the ever-changing
requirements. It's hard to believe that these people don't understand (or
don't care) that these standards are used for a very long time.

                       Randy Brukardt, Project Editor, ISO/IEC 8652