* Prebuilt GNAT binaries for LynxOs/x86  - Anyone know?
@ 2000-02-14  0:00 Tony Matthews
From: Tony Matthews @ 2000-02-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone out there know where I might be able to download
prebuilt binaries for GNAT 3.11/3.12 for the LynxOs/x86
Operating System.

I've seen the above platform listed on the ACT website,
but at this stage I'm working off my own initiative
(I want to run a few interoperability tests) so it needs
to be free (to me).

As always, thanks for any help received.

--

       Any opinions expressed above are mine.
 To reply by E-Mail remove "SpamJam." from my address.

* Re: Prebuilt GNAT binaries for LynxOs/x86 - Anyone know?
@ 2000-02-15  0:00 ` Achim Gerhard
From: Achim Gerhard @ 2000-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38a8086a$1@pull.gecm.com>,
  "Tony Matthews" <tony.matthews@SpamJam.gecm.com> wrote:
> Does anyone out there know where I might be able to download
> prebuilt binaries for GNAT 3.11/3.12 for the LynxOs/x86
> Operating System.
AFAIK there is only 'GNAT Professional' for LynxOS x86 (3.0.1) and you
can get it for $$ from ACT. (in europe http://www.act-europe.fr)

> I've seen the above platform listed on the ACT website,
> but at this stage I'm working off my own initiative
> (I want to run a few interoperability tests) so it needs
> to be free (to me).
ACT offers a no cost evaluation agreement (about 2 months). For datails,
ask them.

:-)
Hopefully ACT will release 'GNAT Public' for each platform they support.
In my opinion this is of benifit to both ACT and the Ada community.
:-)

We'll see ...
  Achim

--
 _ _
/A/G

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Prebuilt GNAT binaries for LynxOs/x86 - Anyone know?
@ 2000-02-15  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88bbar$5us$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Achim Gerhard <achim_g@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Hopefully ACT will release 'GNAT Public' for each platform
> they support. In my opinion this is of benifit to both ACT and
> the Ada community.

I guess Achim has not been around long on CLA :-) Yes, of course
we release public versions for all platforms we support. That
has always been ACT policy. The reason there is no public
version for Lynx yet is that this is a brand new product,
which did not exist at the time of the 3.12 release, and has
recently been distributed to customers.

As always, we have no definite schedule for a public release,
but there will be a Lynx public release eventually, as for all
other GNAT targets.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 2000-02-15  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88bjt5$bk7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> we release public versions for all platforms we support. That
> has always been ACT policy. The reason there is no public
> version for Lynx yet is that this is a brand new product,
> which did not exist at the time of the 3.12 release, and has
> recently been distributed to customers.
>
> As always, we have no definite schedule for a public release,
> but there will be a Lynx public release eventually, as for all
> other GNAT targets.

Does that go for all the other RTOS ports; VxWorks, RTEMS, RtLinux, as
well? I was beginning to see an unpleasent pattern...

--
T.E.D.

@ 2000-02-15  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88bpat$fh9$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> Does that go for all the other RTOS ports; VxWorks, RTEMS,
> RtLinux, as well? I was beginning to see an unpleasent
> pattern...

T.E.D. operating in conspiracy theory mode again :-) :-)

1. ACT does not provide any RTEMS based GNAT solutions, these
are products or OAR. I have no idea what the OAR policy is
regarding these ports. The source units for the runtime are
in fact in the distributed GNAT sources, so this version could
be built from sources.

2. There is no RtLinux product, we certainly cannot provide
public releases of products that exist only in people's
imaginations. We are looking into this whole area, including
some cooperative work with Xentropics, but we do not have a
standard product in this area yet.

3. GNATWorks (VxWorks). The full sources are in the GNAT source
release, we are not planning to make public releases of
binaries for the GANTWorks technologies, there are simply
too many possible host/target combinations to make this
feasible, but if you know what you are doing, you can
definitely build this from sources. Since VxWorks is an
expensive proprietary product, it seems unlikely that there
will be much interest from the intended target audience for
the public release anyway. But if you want it, it is there.
If you want a custom built binary to meet your specific
commercial requirements, you definitely need to be a supported
customer, or to be doing a formal evaluation.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 2000-02-15  0:00         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88c2mt$mj4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <88bpat$fh9$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> > Does that go for all the other RTOS ports; VxWorks, RTEMS,
> > RtLinux, as well? I was beginning to see an unpleasent
> > pattern...
>
> T.E.D. operating in conspiracy theory mode again :-) :-)

Quite so. I try my best not to, but its damn tough to fight the
pattern-matching wetware we a saddled with sometimes. :-)

> 1. ACT does not provide any RTEMS based GNAT solutions, these
> are products or OAR. I have no idea what the OAR policy is

Ahh. That explains its absence from the list of supported platforms on
your website.

> 2. There is no RtLinux product, we certainly cannot provide
> public releases of products that exist only in people's
> imaginations. We are looking into this whole area, including
> some cooperative work with Xentropics, but we do not have a
> standard product in this area yet.

Silly me. I assumed all the platforms listed on your "Supported
Platforms" page on your website ( http://www.gnat.com/platforms.HTM ),
were actually supported platorms. How could I have been so foolish?

In all seriousness, I suppose the presence there of Gnat for Java should
have tipped me off.

Anyway thanks for providing the facts.

--
T.E.D.

@ 2000-02-16  0:00           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88c41f$nhr$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> > but we do not have a standard product in this area yet.
>
> Silly me. I assumed all the platforms listed on your
> "Supported Platforms" page on your website (
> http://www.gnat.com/platforms.HTM ),
> were actually supported platorms. How could I have been so
> foolish?

These are platforms for which we have customers currently using
GNAT. But you are not paying enough attention to the "standard
product" in my quote. Right now, the RtLinux GNAT is a product
being developed cooperatively with customers under the
GNAT Developers Network. If you want to sign up, you can do
that too :-)

But we don't make public releases till we have a standard
product.

JGNAT is in a little different situation. We have many customers
currently evaluating and using this technology, and will do a
formal customer release in the near future. The public release
will follow shortly thereafter.

The web page indicates the list of products which we can provide
to supported customers today, but does not necessarily indicate
that these products are turn key standard products, and very
definitely is NOT a list of publicly available versions.

Ted, if your company is interested in becoming a supported
customer for RT/Linux, then, depending on what your needs are,
we can probably work out a solution that will make sense (there
are several possible configurations here -- in any case
typically initial development is done in native mode using
native Linux).

Contact sales@gnat.com for full details.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 2000-02-16  0:00             ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-02-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88d7p2$hbh$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Ted, if your company is interested in becoming a supported
> customer for RT/Linux, then, depending on what your needs are,
> we can probably work out a solution that will make sense (there
> are several possible configurations here -- in any case
> typically initial development is done in native mode using
> native Linux).

I probably wish my company was interested in that just as much as you
do. Unfortunately my company appears to be intersted solely in the RXT
realtime extensions to Windows. Even though this product was in beta
last I heard, management here is quite sold on it. In fact, if you go
to the "partners" page on VenturCom's website, you'll see our logo there
(along with the logo of our primary competitor). Any tool that does not
support this environment is not under consideration for use. Currently
that includes every Ada compiler. My project is a special situation only
because our customer (wisely) demanded Ada.

It would be nice if there were a PC-based real-time Ada solution that I
could download to show people what alternatives exist, either for a free
OS that I could also download, or for one we already have (vxWorks).

But it'd be nice to have 6 million dollars and a vacation home in Tahiti
too. In the meantime perhaps I'll work on a Gnat RTX port in my copious
spare time. :-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Prebuilt GNAT binaries for LynxOs/x86 - Anyone know where?
@ 2000-02-17  0:00             ` Tony Matthews
From: Tony Matthews @ 2000-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote in message news:88d7p2$hbh$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> But we don't make public releases till we have a standard
> product.

So is there a specific site somewhere that maintains an 'official' list of
these
'public releases' of 'standard products' , as I can find no such link on
http://www.gnat.com

It's not that I would necessarily expect ACT to maintain such a list,
it's just that I wouldn't know how to tell a release that
had been made public by ACT from something someone else cooked
up in their potting shed :-)

Tony M.

--

@ 2000-02-17  0:00               ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2000-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tony Matthews" <tony.matthews@SpamJam.gecm.com> writes:

> So is there a specific site somewhere that maintains an 'official' list of
> these
> 'public releases' of 'standard products' , as I can find no such link on
> http://www.gnat.com

If you click on the link "STUDENTS CLICK HERE" (at the bottom of the
main page at http://www.gnat.com), you'll be pointed to
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat, which is the official gnat public release
list.

-- Stephe

* Re: Prebuilt GNAT binaries for LynxOs/x86 - Anyone know?
@ 2000-02-18  0:00               ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88egi2$d3c$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> It would be nice if there were a PC-based real-time Ada
> solution that I could download to show people what
> alternatives exist, either for a free
> OS that I could also download, or for one we already have
> (vxWorks).

If you are seriously interested in evaluating GNAT for VxWorks
or for any other target, the proper thing is to contact
sales@gnat.com to arrange for an evaluation. This allows you
to evaluate the official fully supported version of GNAT
Professional. We do not recommend the use of the public
version of GNAT for such evaluations for two reasons:

1. There is no way of guaranteeing that the version you have
has not been corrupted in some way, and for sure the version
you are trying out is not validated.

2. The total GNAT Professional package includes ACT support as
an integral and critical part of the package and that should be
evaluated as well.

After all you could not evaluate other proprietary compilers
without the help and support of the relevant vendor, so if you
want to do an apples-to-apples comparison, you should proceed
in the same manner with GNAT and Ada Core.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 2000-02-18  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88c2mt$mj4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

> 2. There is no RtLinux product

It turns out that this is an incorrect statement. Many companies
err in the direction of saying that they have things they don't
actually have, and in this case I was making the opposite error
of saying we did not have something that we actually do :-)

I was just a bit out of date in my understanding of the status
of this product. In fact it is complete, and available at this
time.

A public release will be made at some point in the future.

Sorry for the confusion.

Note that in general there will be a lag between the products
listed on our web page and public versions, since some of the
products may reflect new products that have appeared since the
last public release cycle (as happens to be the case with this
product)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies