From: Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Using Xt intrinsics with Ada?
Date: 02 Feb 2001 10:06:37 -0500
Date: 2001-02-02T15:19:47+00:00	[thread overview]

Juergen Fischer <juergen.fischer@avitech.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the problem is that we don't have the runtime that blocks on the task
> level but only on the process level.
> Therefore we have to use non blocking sockets. The XtAppMainLoop does
> really poll,
> but from other C programs we know that it doesn't take much CPU load.
> So we suppose that the CPU load is caused by
> Ada tasking in combination with the XtAppMainLoop.

Ok, now you realize that you _cannot_ avoid polling, because your OS
does not provide task-level blocking sockets. Bringing in X windows
stuff cannot change that.

You can either get threads and sockets libraries that provide this
functionality, or convert your program to a multi-process one,
possibly using Ada partitions. Which OS and compiler are you using?

Or perhaps you can design an acceptable polling solution; it appears
that you hoped the XtAppMainLoop would be such a thing. You are more
likely to be successful if you code the polling directly. Perhaps you
could use the source for XtAppMainLoop as a guide.

--
-- Stephe