From: Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov>
Subject: Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
Date: 18 Nov 2003 13:36:45 -0500
Date: 2003-11-18T18:41:04+00:00	[thread overview]

"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:

> OF course, before the GPS (Gnat programming system) thre also was nothing
> close to an integrated IDE for Ada either.

Hmph. Emacs is the best IDE around, as well as being the oldest, and
it supports Ada very well, and has for years.

I guess you mean "easy to learn" "point and click" IDE, as opposed to
"powerful and productive" IDE. Even there, recent Emacsen (plural of
Emacs :) are pretty good at providing guidance to newbies (not as good
as GPS, I'll grant you).

> Seems today, the popular thing is wizards in applcations that
> accomplish basic setup of applications for example. visual tools
> like that that eases the development cycle a bit.

Only for systems that match what the wizard does. One of the reasons I
like Emacs and Ada is that they do _not_ impose any programming
paradigms; they let you use which ever one is best for the problem at
hand.

--
-- Stephe