* Question about Gnade/ODBC binding
@ 2007-09-21 10:37 Graham
From: Graham @ 2007-09-21 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
    I'm new here. I've been investigating building quite a large
application in Ada, and am trying to get my head around Ada database
connectivity.

Does anyone here use the Gnade ODBC Interface? If so, could someone
show me an example of binding (probably using SQLBindParameter or
SQLBindCol):

a) a Decimal or Fixed-Point type; or
b) some sort of time measure, such as a timestamp or duration; or
c) a binary or character stream such as a Blob or Clob.

Integers, Floats and Strings work fine, but it would be good to know
that I could get a full range of types supported, or know for certain
that I can't.

Ideally, I'd ask this of the Gnade mailing list, but that appears to
be dormant (is it?).

--
regards,

Graham Stark
http://www.virtual-worlds.biz

* Re: Question about Gnade/ODBC binding
@ 2007-09-21 17:44 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2007-09-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 03:37:49 -0700, Graham wrote:

> Does anyone here use the Gnade ODBC Interface?

I do.

> Integers, Floats and Strings work fine, but it would be good to know
> that I could get a full range of types supported, or know for certain
> that I can't.

You can use all SQL types declared in the package GNU.DB.SQLCLI.

Another question is in which part they are supported by the given ODBC
driver. In each case you have to ask the driver what it can. An example, of
querying support of definite you can find in simple components:

   http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm

file gnu-db-sqlcli-api.adb, function Get_Type_Info.

It boils down to issuing SQLGetTypeInfo and then looking through the result
set.

For more detailed information see MSDN documentation for SQLGetTypeInfo
function:

   http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library//ms714632.aspx

--
Regards,