From: Martyn Pike <emconuk@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Every little bit helps - Publicity in Embedded Systems Development mag
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:52:20 +0000
Date: 2009-01-29T22:52:20+00:00	[thread overview]

RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com wrote:
> http://www.embedded.com/212902632?cid=NL_embedded

An interesting article, but is it 100% accurate ?

*Some* free tools maybe but I disagree with the implication that all
those ports to most mainstream 16 and 32 bit CPUs are free.

As far as I am aware, the profiles referenced here
(http://www.adacore.com/home/gnatpro/toolsuite/runtimes/) are not free,
not licensed by the GPL and only available to GNAT Pro customers ?

If I call Adacore up and say :

"Where can I download a pre-built binary free/GPL version of GNAT that
is hosted on Windows but cross compiles to PowerPC and gives me a
Ravenscar Profile compliant runtime for my hypothetical barebones hobby
project ?"

I would be told those requirements mean I needed a GNAT Pro subscription
which is not free.

I quote the article :

 > Tasking is a built-in feature, not a bolt-on requiring
 > expensive dalliances with RTOS vendors

Those expensive dalliances still exist, but I feel the Ada developer
actually pays twice.  They pay the RTOS vendor for the OS license and
stock tools and then they have to pay Adacore for the Ada tools that
layer GNARL/GNULL ontop of the RTOS.

If I chose the language supported by the RTOS vendors stock tools
(invariably C/C++) then I only pay the RTOS vendor.  Albeit I would pay
in blood, sweat and tears later on in my project lifecycle !

It is very confusing for me, as an Ada developer, to read an article
like this and not feel like new converts to the Ada cause are being spammed.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  I am not knocking Jack Ganssle or
Adacore for their efforts but I find this article slightly misleading.

Martyn