From: Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: q: pkg for network/UNIX programming; system dependencies
Date: 1997/06/04
Date: 1997-06-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Thanks for all the responses.  I'll check out florist and Corey
Minyard's version of forest.  I also intend to drop a line to the
paradise maintainer.

I've only looked at the DSA a little, but my impression is that the
Ada system manages the low-level details and gives the application
writer a high-level interface for remote calls.  I need to deal with
existing network protocols, so I have to have control at the lower
level.  And, being a network security weenie, I'm not inclined to
trust something that takes that control away from me without knowing
how the security issues are addressed...

As for handling system dependencies, "separate" and/or child packages
sound like the right solution.  And since I'd be targeting mostly
UNIXy systems, I can probably assume (or require) autoconf and m4
availability for generating/choosing the files to be compiled.

Thanks again...

Ken