From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
Subject: Re: editors - open source - written in ADA?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:04:58 -0500
Date: 2001-11-17T21:04:58-05:00	[thread overview]

I think that you will find that most (I only know of one or two exceptions)
open source developers for Ada are quick (Ok, there have been some bumps
along the way, but they are now smooth) to make Ada libraries available
under the very unrestrictive lic. of the GMGPL (ie. GPL, but if you include
the code it doesn't cause your code to become GPL'd) in order that their
code should help to be advocates of Ada use even in non-GPL settings (such
as in proprietary products ;-)

In principle most of those developers, self included, wished Ada was already
firm in the heart of the worlds programmers and would rather release under
the true GPL, but see that being Ada advocates is more important in the
current climate and that we would contribute just about zippo to the FSF and
other like minded movements with our code (for now .....)

Typically an editor and other tool would be released under the GPL since
these are end products. Take a look at the FSF site for the "why"s on the
GPL.

Most people like to get paid for their work. There are of course many ways
to pay some one (money isn't everything). Putting new code under the GPL by
leveraging other's GPL code is very gratifying and rewarding to the GPL
author and part of why many release their code under the GPL.

If you can not pay the developers in GPL code, perhaps consider cash :-)

David Botton