* DLL troubles on Windows XP
@ 2006-04-19 14:10 SLt
From: SLt @ 2006-04-19 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have an ADA DLL, compiled on Windows NT using GNAT and used on
Windows NT via LabVIEW.
When I tried to use this DLL on Windows XP, I have troubles on one of
the function (not the first !). The error message is not clear because
it's only the message of LabVIEW.
Is it possible that DLL compiled on a previous operating system than
Windows XP does not work on Windows XP ?

Sorry, i can't give more details on the ADA DLL because i have no more
information about this.

Thank you,

SLt.

* Re: DLL troubles on Windows XP
@ 2006-04-20  1:57 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2006-04-20  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"SLt" <stephanie.lescarret@acsysteme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an ADA DLL, compiled on Windows NT using GNAT and used on
> Windows NT via LabVIEW.
> When I tried to use this DLL on Windows XP, I have troubles on one of
> the function (not the first !). The error message is not clear because
> it's only the message of LabVIEW.
> Is it possible that DLL compiled on a previous operating system than
> Windows XP does not work on Windows XP ?
>
> Sorry, i can't give more details on the ADA DLL because i have no more
> information about this.
>
> Thank you,
>
> SLt.

Was the DLL run on the same hardware under Windows NT?

I ask because there was a problem with an earlier version of the ObjectAda
run time library that started to appear on faster CPU's.  I can't remember
exactly where the break was, but we had to re-build our systems with the new
library to have them work correctly on faster processors

I vaguely remember the break being somewhere around 2.1 GHz.  It didn't show
up until the P4's started ramping up in speed.

I hope this helps,
Steve
(The Duck)

* Re: DLL troubles on Windows XP
@ 2006-04-20  7:20 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-04-20  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"SLt" <stephanie.lescarret@acsysteme.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have an ADA DLL, compiled on Windows NT using GNAT and used on
> Windows NT via LabVIEW.
> When I tried to use this DLL on Windows XP, I have troubles on one of
> the function (not the first !). The error message is not clear because
> it's only the message of LabVIEW.
> Is it possible that DLL compiled on a previous operating system than
> Windows XP does not work on Windows XP ?

That is certainly possible; it depends on what Windows APIs you are
calling. Some changed between Windows NT and Windows XP.

> Sorry, i can't give more details on the ADA DLL because i have no more
> information about this.

Recompiling the DLL from source should either fix the problem or
identify the API change. Hmm. That's assuming you use an updated
Windows binding, which may be difficult to find.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: DLL troubles on Windows XP
@ 2006-04-20  7:32   ` SLt
From: SLt @ 2006-04-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you.
Effectively, the CPU on Windows XP is faster than the CPU on Windows
NT.

You say "There was a problem with an earlier version of the ObjectAda
run time library that started to appear on faster CPU's". Sorry, but
i've never used ADA or GNAT so this run time library is unknown for me
! Does it mean that recompile all the DLL with the last version of GNAT
may solve the problem ?

* Re: DLL troubles on Windows XP
@ 2006-04-20 14:06 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-04-20 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Apr 2006 07:10:32 -0700, SLt wrote:

> I have an ADA DLL, compiled on Windows NT using GNAT and used on
> Windows NT via LabVIEW.
> When I tried to use this DLL on Windows XP, I have troubles on one of
> the function (not the first !). The error message is not clear because
> it's only the message of LabVIEW.
> Is it possible that DLL compiled on a previous operating system than
> Windows XP does not work on Windows XP ?

Possible, but not very likely.

Is it the same version of LabView? It is possible that it has a different
call convention.

Also, I remotely remember that National Instruments switched the library
format. Was it LabWindows/CVI or LabView?

Is it the same threading model? I don't remember if LabView is
multithreaded. There could be troubles with Ada tasks.

P.S. You could browse National's knowledge base. It contains useful
information about such and similar things. I would do it before checking
for Windows API or GNAT issues.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov