From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.not.jrcarter@acm.not.spam.org>
Subject: Re: GPS example fails to compile
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:00:09 GMT
Date: 2006-06-22T05:00:09+00:00	[thread overview]

Xcriber51 wrote:

> Any patient soul out there to explain how the f--- Ada does binding with
> an external language module? (Not the "pragma import" construct, dammit,
> but how the whole thing comes together.)

When you import a subprogram from another language, you're going outside
the Ada language, so the compiler can't help you. You've entered the
realm of unchecked programming, where you're telling the compiler,
"Trust me." (Of course, decades of experience with languages like C show
that, for anything significant, we can't be trusted.)

At link time, you have to provide the linker with the implementation of
the imported operation so your program can call it. Ada provides pragma
Linker_Options for that. With gnatmake, you can use -largs to provide
linker options, or use the project-file mechanism.

--
Jeff Carter
"To Err is human, to really screw up, you need C++!"