* OODBMS For Ada
@ 2001-10-23 15:20 ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2001-10-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Does anyone know if there is an OODMS for Ada.
Bindings for an OODBMS would work as well. I searched
fairly heavly on the net, this news group, and
comp.object.* and found only very old references. I
checked these out and none of them seem to exist
anymore. There was one exception a database called
FIRM from some subsidiary of lockheed marten, but it
seemed to be directed at the embedded market and cost
(unfortunatly) is a limiting factor.

Thanks

http://personals.yahoo.com

* Re: OODBMS For Ada
@ 2001-10-23 15:52   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-23 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:20:43 -0700 (PDT), Eric Merritt wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is an OODMS for Ada.
> Bindings for an OODBMS would work as well. I searched
> fairly heavly on the net, this news group, and
> comp.object.* and found only very old references. I
> checked these out and none of them seem to exist
> anymore. There was one exception a database called
> FIRM from some subsidiary of lockheed marten, but it
> seemed to be directed at the embedded market and cost
> (unfortunatly) is a limiting factor.

I'm a bit uncertain about what you ask for, but have you looked at:
http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

Preben Randhol

* Re: OODBMS For Ada
@ 2001-10-23 16:03     ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2001-10-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Yes, gnade is a very good library that wrappers ODBC.
ODBC is an access method for various relational
database. What I am actually more interested in is an
Object Oriented Database. These are actually more
interesting, though less popular, then the thier
relational cousins.

--- Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:20:43 -0700 (PDT), Eric
> Merritt wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there is an OODMS for Ada.
> > Bindings for an OODBMS would work as well. I
> searched
> > fairly heavly on the net, this news group, and
> > comp.object.* and found only very old references.
> > checked these out and none of them seem to exist
> > anymore. There was one exception a database called
> > FIRM from some subsidiary of lockheed marten, but
> it
> > seemed to be directed at the embedded market and
> cost
> > (unfortunatly) is a limiting factor.
> >

> I'm a bit uncertain about what you ask for, but have
> you looked at:
> http://gnade.sourceforge.net/
>
> Preben Randhol
http://personals.yahoo.com

* Re: OODBMS For Ada
@ 2001-10-23 16:20       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-10-23 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Have you considered using COM/DCOM or CORBA bindings to such databases?

Almost every OODBMS I know of has CORBA integration.

David Botton

* Re: OODBMS For Ada
       [not found] <017501c15bde$a4bd47e0$0100a8c0@i3boca.i3domain.inin.com>
@ 2001-10-23 16:25 ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2001-10-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

I actually hadn't thought of that. Any idea on how
this affects performance?

--- David Botton <David@Botton.com> wrote:
> Have you considered using COM/DCOM or CORBA bindings
> to such databases?
>
> Almost every OODBMS I know of has CORBA integration.
>
> David Botton

http://personals.yahoo.com

* Re: OODBMS For Ada
@ 2001-10-23 16:46   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-10-23 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

With a COM interface in an Inproc (DLL) based server, performance should not
suffer at all. There may be similar performance solutions using CORBA, you
will likely need to check with each vendor about how they go about their
binding/solution.

David Botton

"Eric Merritt" <cyberlync@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I actually hadn't thought of that. Any idea on how
> this affects performance?

* Re: OODBMS For Ada
@ 2001-10-23 17:56   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-23 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

In comp.lang.ada, you wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is an OODMS for Ada.
> Bindings for an OODBMS would work as well. I searched
> fairly heavly on the net, this news group, and
> comp.object.* and found only very old references. I
> checked these out and none of them seem to exist
> anymore. There was one exception a database called
> FIRM from some subsidiary of lockheed marten, but it
> seemed to be directed at the embedded market and cost
> (unfortunatly) is a limiting factor.

I'm a bit uncertain what you ask for, but have you looked at:
http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

Preben