* Re: Ada / Boeing 777
@ 1996-03-23  0:00 Sam Harbaugh (at Home)
From: Sam Harbaugh (at Home) @ 1996-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Matt Kennel <mbk@CAFFEINE.ENGR.UTK.EDU>wrote:
>The representation (aka implementation) of angle is wrong.

>It should be a complex number of unit magnitude.  Rotations in any
>direction can be implemented as complex multiplication without any
>discontinuities, wrap around errors or problems at 0 or 180 or 360
>degrees.

>This is an easy 2-d representation of the rotation group.  3-d is
>trickier: either Euler angles or quaternions.

I agree with Matt. In my posting I assumed that the Airbus software used
better than one degree integer heading values and that the original poster
was simplifying it to make his point clearer. The point of my post was to
call attention to the possible absence of domain expertise in and around the
software development activity.

I have boxes of simulator code, F4, V22, etc. and without looking I recall
that all of them use quaternions.

See, sometimes physicists *can* be useful.  ;-)

Yes Matt, I agree. Where would we engineers be without the understanding of
nature that the physicists provide.  (serious, no smiley).

sam harbaugh  harbaugh@acusys.com

* Re: Ada / Boeing 777
@ 1996-03-19  0:00 Sam Harbaugh
From: Sam Harbaugh @ 1996-03-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@LFWC.LOCKHEED.COM> wrote
ron thompson wrote:
> 777 is the first 100% fly by wire, no mechanical backups
> of any kind, built in the US of A.

Ken First _commercial_ aircraft that is 100% fly by wire, no
Ken mechanical backups, built in the USA, of course.
------------------------------------
from the newspaper article:
      In the unlikely event of a complete electrical system shutdown,
cables from the cockpit to selected spoilers and the horizontal tail
section allow the pilot to glide straight and level until the electrical
system is restarted.
----------------------------------
[or until impact with the earth :-) ]
---------------------------------------
Tim Rowe wrote:

> AIUI the Airbus range has triplicated *diverse* systems for critical
> functions. The 777 has triplicated *identical* systems (I'm trusting the
> press for this, so it may not be gospel).

Ken If I recall the TRI-Ada stuff on this, it's the same source code, compiled
Ken with three different compilers for three different targets. So, it
Ken depends on what you mean by "diversity."

I recall it being written that each of the three were programmed in a
different language, Ada, C and PL/M.

@ 1996-03-18  0:00 Sam Harbaugh
From: Sam Harbaugh @ 1996-03-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Rowe <digitig@CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK> wrote:
>As an example, there was a known fault on one of the Airbus range (which
>has been flying total fly-by-wire for *many* years before the 777!) that
>meant that when flying a heading of 00 degrees, if the pilot commanded
>the aircraft to turn a bit one way, the aircraft could actually turn the
>other way. It was turning to the correct heading, but it was going the
>359 degree route, not the 1 degree route. Now, there are not many runways
>in the world that are close to north-south, but there are a few, and when
>that bug showed itself on a final approach I bet the pilots pants turned
>brown.

Point of order:  heading zero is invalid in the user space.  north-south
runways are marked 36 for 360 degrees, not zero.  Pilots and ATC speak of
360 degrees, not zero degrees.

I wouldn't suggest that this point has anything to do with the malfunction
but maybe, just maybe, if the programmer had a pilot's license he/she would
have known this and then maybe, just maybe, he/she would have known to turn
in the proper direction.

Just maybe, just possibly maybe, if the code was written in a strongly typed
language, using human readable names, and a pilot attended a code
walkthrough, the pilot would have picked up on type heading_type being from
0..359 instead of 1..360 and started a conversation that would have lead to
discovery of the worong way turn.

I wonder what language would provide this feature :-)

sam harbaugh  harbaugh@acusys.com
p.s. does this remind you of the "two values for midnight" thread of years ago?