From: Mike and Lynn Card <thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com>
Subject: Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat- tasking bug
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:47:12 GMT
Date: 2003-10-08T04:47:12+00:00	[thread overview]

Hey Mark-

FWIW, I think you'll find that Ada tasking does not work with the GNAT
that comes installed by default in RH9. I used the GNAT that came with
RH8 and it workeed great, but the size of the data structure for tasks
changed in RH9 and so GNAT's task control blocks are the wrong size. So
if you have a program that uses tasking you will have problems.

We fixed this on our RH9 installation by downloading LOTS of RPMs for
gcc and installing them ourselves after finding a newsgroup posting when
doing a Google search for information about this problem. I say LOTS
because of dependencies we encountered that kept requiring more and more
RPMs. Anyway, to our amazement we did as the posting recommended and
voila our GNAT compiler is producing good code for programs with
tasking. Unfortunately I couldn't find the link just now, but here is
another thread that describes the problem:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/84/1996/1/50/273331/

- Mike