* Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT
@ 2001-05-27 21:10 Peter Richtmyer
From: Peter Richtmyer @ 2001-05-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.

Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
bullet-proof.
(The Win NT version is for development and test only.)

Thanks,
Peter

* Re: Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT
@ 2001-05-28  7:46 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-05-28  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Richtmyer wrote in message ...
>I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
>The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
>Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
>bullet-proof.
>(The Win NT version is for development and test only.)

You do not use mkfifo on windows nt. You have to create the named pipe in
your own program. Search microsoft.com or their developer site for
documentation.

Greetings,

* Re: Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT
       [not found] <20010528042922.2D6A91919D@ada.eu.org>
@ 2001-05-28 16:09 ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-05-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
>The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
>Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
>bullet-proof.
>(The Win NT version is for development and test only.)
>

>Thanks,
>Peter

You can try with CreateNamedPipe WinAPI function.
Header file: winbase.h
Import library: kernel32.lib

Other function, that can be useful:
CallNamedPipe, ConnectNamedPipe, CreateNamedPipe, CreatePipe,
DisconnectNamedPipe, GetNamedPipeHandleState, GetNamedPipeInfo,
PeekNamedPipe, SetNamedPipeHandleState, TransactNamedPipe,
WaitNamedPipe

You can find more info in MSDN

Vinnie

* Re: Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT
@ 2001-05-29 14:19 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-05-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check on my web page (http://www.mcondic.com/) on the "Ada Programming"
sub-page. I have an example there of how to create a named pipe on WinNT
with Ada.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic