From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 14:15:01 GMT
Date: 2008-03-02T14:15:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Erik Baigar wrote:
> Jeffrey Creem wrote:

>> GtkAda binds to a somewhat more modern library and 'works' under windows
>> as well.
> That is the reason why I do not like this way very much: Code where a
> major part of development is done for the Windows operating system
> is usually not easy to compile on UNIX machines: Poor makefiles, HUGE
> amount of dependencies, often not easy to have two different versions
> of a library on a system due to the use of identical file names
> for both versions (common "newer DLL replaced older one" on Windows
> PCs).

I would not let the Windows baggage bother you here. Gtk+ was written
for Unix like systems and is primarily maintained for Unix like systems
with Windows support clearly lagging. The makefiles are very typical for
large 'auto' tools style makefiles. Still, the dependency tree is pretty
large and has grown over the years but that is more a reflection on the
fact that it has now gotten a fairly full feature set for what people
expect in a toolkit these days.

>> Under Linux/Solaris/unix like machines where it is supported it is very
>> good.
> gtk-1.0 is OK regarding speed, but recently I recomiled a program
> with 2.2 and now it runs at 30% the speed of version gtk-1.2. Anyhow
> GtkAda-1.2.12 is based on 1.2, so I will give this one a try...
>
>> The downside will be that for older Solaris and probably for IRIX
>> you will almost certainly have to compile your own Gtk libraries (not
>> just the Ada part -- the libraries themselves).
> I know, just started this journey with libart_lgpl-1.2...
>
> ...will post the end of the story in the future,
>
>     ...thanks so far,

Please do. It will be nice to hear what you decide.