From: Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
Subject: Re: Book on Posix Ada Bindings ?
Date: 2000/05/29
Date: 2000-05-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:

> In article <392FEBE3.7F3569C1@aston.ac.uk>,
>   millerhc@aston.ac.uk wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a book written or being written about the
> use of the
> > Posix 5 ada bindings ???
>
> The standard itself seems a pretty clear document to me. What
> are you looking for, an elementary tutorial of some kind? If
> so, I don't think there is any such.

The standard is pretty expensive, especially for students.  In
addition, public libraries hardly have any IEEE standards, at least
here in Germany.  The university has got a copy or two of POSIX
1003.5, but only of the 1992 edition.  (And we have some strong Ada
advocates over here, that's why I assume that the situation is even
worse at many other locations.)

(This is not specific to the POSIX Ada standards, it applies to IEEE
1003 as a whole.  But at least for some of the C interfaces, textbooks
are widely available.)

Of course you could argue that 1003.5 (1992) is sufficient because
anything that was added later is hardly found in the GNAT/FLORIST
implementation, but this argument is no longer valid if someone wants
to implement some aspects of 1003.5c instead of writing your his own
bindings to the corresponding C functions.