* Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-07 14:59 Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-07 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I was just wondering if somebody already have made bindings to the
ogg-vorbis[*] libraries.

I'm mainly interested in decoding ogg file so they can be played from
Ada programs.

[*]  Ogg Vorbis is a completely open, patent-free, professional audio
encoding and streaming technology with all the benefits of Open Source.

Preben
--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/02-C_pitfalls.pdf

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-07 15:28 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-07 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:59:57 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol wrote:
> [*]  Ogg Vorbis is a completely open, patent-free, professional audio
> encoding and streaming technology with all the benefits of Open Source.

Forgot the link: http://www.vorbis.com/

Preben

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-07 16:22 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-10-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

> Hi

Hi!

> I was just wondering if somebody already have made bindings to the
> ogg-vorbis[*] libraries.

I'd also be interested in such a binding. AdaOgg123 for Win32 now! :)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Money is round and rolls away

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-07 18:02 ` Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 2002-10-07 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look at the AdaSDL binding (thick or thin).  If I remember correctly
SDL should be able to play Ogg files, but I have never tried it.

-CRM

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering if somebody already have made bindings to the
> ogg-vorbis[*] libraries.
>
> I'm mainly interested in decoding ogg file so they can be played from
> Ada programs.
>
> [*]  Ogg Vorbis is a completely open, patent-free, professional audio
> encoding and streaming technology with all the benefits of Open Source.
>
> Preben
> --
> Ada95 is good for you.
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/02-C_pitfalls.pdf

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-10-07 18:58 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-10-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

 > with all the benefits of Open Source.

Does that include crap documentation or is Ogg Vorbis an exception?

--
for personal replies change 'spamoff' to 'chris'

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-08  6:40   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-08  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 19:58:32 +0100, chris.danx wrote:
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> > with all the benefits of Open Source.
>
> Does that include crap documentation or is Ogg Vorbis an exception?

Ogg Vorbis documentation has been crap, yes. I guess they can start
working on it now that they are finished with the library. At least I
hope. The Tremor library seem to come with nice documentation, although
I have only glimpsed at it.

Preben

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-08 14:09   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-10-08 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<tQko9.11$m4.124@news13-win.server.ntlworld.com>...
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
>  > with all the benefits of Open Source.
>
> Does that include crap documentation or is Ogg Vorbis an exception?

Eh?

I just downloaded the toolkit, and it comes with about 1.05 Meg of
html documentation. That for about 8.5 megs of libraries (a ratio of
about one byte of documentation for every double-word of code!).
Quality and quantity are not the same of course, but I think you'd be
hard-pressed to find much commercial software with that much
documentation. My Visual Studio installation beats that, but only
because I installed *all* of MSDN, including stuff I don't have the
software for (eg: Visual FoxPro, Visual Basic, WinCE). The VisualC++
docs are only about 1/100th of the size of the binaires.

In general, I find this level of support the *rule* for Free Software.
For instance, my desktop Make reference is the print version of the
online reference at gnu.org. Damn near anything you want to know about
any GNU tool is available online at
http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html .

Perhaps the "OpenSource" is important here. I suspect careless people
are both more apt to not produce documentation when they release stuff
and more apt to prefer the term OpenSource. :-)

* Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
@ 2002-10-08 15:37     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-10-08 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote
>
>>Does that include crap documentation or is Ogg Vorbis an exception?
>
> Eh?

Sorry I was having a bad day banging my head against a brickwall with
some stuff.  I've been getting peeved off by the lack of documentation
for Open Source Software or Free Software for a while now.  It's not so
much the lack of user documentation that is annoying, usually that's not
the problem.  It's the lack of documentation detailing the design of
software, which makes it harder to modify if you're not familiar with
the system.

At present you have to mess around in the code to see the grand plan.
It'd be nice for once to see the plan of the system and have details of
what people modified and for what reason!

> In general, I find this level of support the *rule* for Free Software.
> For instance, my desktop Make reference is the print version of the
> online reference at gnu.org. Damn near anything you want to know about
> any GNU tool is available online at
> http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html .
>
> Perhaps the "OpenSource" is important here. I suspect careless people
> are both more apt to not produce documentation when they release stuff
> and more apt to prefer the term OpenSource. :-)

Free Software is worse, in general, for the kind of documentation I'm
talking about (which is different from user documentation).

Chris
--
for personal replies change 'spamoff' to 'chris'