* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
       [not found] ` <cqdunbatk7046TMZLUM@twcny.rr.com>
@ 2004-04-11 13:12   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-04-11 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Kate Macdonald" <fjarhat@rmdavis.com> writes:

> dear Comp.lang.ada  (Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:44:18 +0100)
> heath crumble council circlet clarity innuendo

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why people post these random
noise things? They don't seem to be selling anything. What is the
point?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-11 14:02     ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2004-04-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why people post these
Stephen> random noise things? They don't seem to be selling
Stephen> anything. What is the point?

When the return address is valid, checking whether a given address
bounces or not. Best: if someone answers to ask what it is, his email
address is fully confirmed and will be included in a very good grade
address list for spam.

When the return address is invalid, those mails are meant to confuse
adaptive filters and make them useless.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-12  3:34       ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2004-04-12  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> When the return address is invalid, those mails are meant to confuse
> adaptive filters and make them useless.

But they don't work for that.  :-)
(At least my filters have never been fooled)

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/teaching/

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-12 22:48     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-04-12 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote in message
> "Kate Macdonald" <fjarhat@rmdavis.com> writes:
>
> > dear Comp.lang.ada  (Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:44:18 +0100)
> > heath crumble council circlet clarity innuendo
>
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why people post these random
> noise things? They don't seem to be selling anything. What is the
> point?

You must have an HTML filter in place. The HTML portion of that message was
an ad for a phony drug store. (That's my current desciption of them for our
spam filter - either meaning could be right - that is either a phony store
claiming to sell drugs, or a store selling phony drugs. The odds of getting
real drugs from such a source are very long...)

Anyway, they're a normal spam (our mail server gets about 900 such messages
a day - for only 20 mail addresses). It appears that one of the mailing
lists that allows posting is not moderating the postings, and thus they get
here. (All e-mail lists should moderate postings from non-list members.
Period.)

                  Randy.

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-13  0:54       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-04-13  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> "Stephen Leake" <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote in message
> > "Kate Macdonald" <fjarhat@rmdavis.com> writes:
> >
> > > dear Comp.lang.ada  (Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:44:18 +0100)
> > > heath crumble council circlet clarity innuendo
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why people post these random
> > noise things? They don't seem to be selling anything. What is the
> > point?
>
> You must have an HTML filter in place. The HTML portion of that
> message was an ad for a phony drug store.

Yes, I read with Emacs Gnus. It lets me know about valid MIME
attachments, but throws away anything else. So I did not see the ad.

That makes more sense, that there is an ad in an HTML part. But they
should at least follow the email standards, if they want the widest
audience to see them!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-13  1:02     ` Russ
From: Russ @ 2004-04-13  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.239.1081689176.327.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>...
> "Kate Macdonald" <fjarhat@rmdavis.com> writes:
>
> > dear Comp.lang.ada  (Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:44:18 +0100)
> > heath crumble council circlet clarity innuendo
>
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why people post these random
> noise things? They don't seem to be selling anything. What is the
> point?

I don't know why they post these things, but from my google view of
comp.lang.ada, that yogurt post appears to be one of only two posts
for the entire day of April 10. I find that amazing. Is Ada on the
fast track to oblivion -- or do Ada users just have more important
ways to spend their Easter weekend? I'll assume that latter for now.

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-13  1:19       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-04-13  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Russ" <18k11tm001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> I don't know why they post these things, but from my google view of
> comp.lang.ada, that yogurt post appears to be one of only two posts
> for the entire day of April 10. I find that amazing. Is Ada on the
> fast track to oblivion -- or do Ada users just have more important
> ways to spend their Easter weekend? I'll assume that latter for now.

I got more than 100 new messages this morning, so perhaps Google was behind
a bit. (I didn't pay much attention to the dates, though.) There have been a
couple of cases where I've seen a couple of days without posts, but I
presumed that was a net glitch of some sort. Or maybe everybody was too busy
building the next big thing to post here...

            Randy.

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-13  5:11         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-04-13  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake writes:
> Yes, I read with Emacs Gnus. It lets me know about valid MIME
> attachments, but throws away anything else. So I did not see the ad.
>
> That makes more sense, that there is an ad in an HTML part. But they
> should at least follow the email standards, if they want the widest
> audience to see them!

Emacs gnus users are too sophisticated to be part of their intended
audience :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: yogurt (way off topic)
@ 2004-04-14 18:26       ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 2004-04-14 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ wrote:

> I don't know why they post these things, but from my google view of
> comp.lang.ada, that yogurt post appears to be one of only two posts
> for the entire day of April 10. I find that amazing. Is Ada on the
> fast track to oblivion -- or do Ada users just have more important
> ways to spend their Easter weekend? I'll assume that latter for now.

Or maybe Ada programmers get to take holiday weekends off? ;-)

(Seriously, the server that I use for comp.lang.ada had 28 posts on
4/10/2004.)

--

                                           Robert I. Eachus

"The terrorist enemy holds no territory, defends no population, is
unconstrained by rules of warfare, and respects no law of morality. Such
an enemy cannot be deterred, contained, appeased or negotiated with. It
can only be destroyed--and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the business
at hand."  -- Dick Cheney