* ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-01-16  0:00 Adrian Bryant
From: Adrian Bryant @ 2000-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Can you anyone recommend any introduction training courses to ADA 95 in the
UK.

Thanks in advance,
  Adrian

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 ` HollymaN
From: HollymaN @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ADA???what for??
anyone who s learning this language is considered as a looser including
myself  :))
who s using ADA anyways???

@ 2000-02-04  0:00   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

HollymaN wrote:

> ADA???what for??
> anyone who s learning this language is considered as a looser including
> myself  :))

If you are considered as a looser, it is perhaps not because you are learning Ada...

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

From: HollymaN @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

:) good reply congratulations.You seem smarter then i thought(despite the
fact that use ada).
I was taught ada at the university,and when on the real world i just
could'nt market myself with that and i had to learn new programing languages
(i was the less experienced (in java and c++) in my job and unfortunatly the
first in the boss's get your ass fired list ).i worked very hard for a month
but one day a newely graduated student came and was better than me (three
years at univesity with c++,visual c++,borland c++)
Don't get me wrong i do like ada but i blame the university for teaching me
ada for over 3 years(a time we should 've spended gaining experience in java
c or c++) .I"m for ada as fourth language.

From: HollymaN @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Come on ,Come on man, you can't ignore java nowdays it's the next big
thing,if you are so sure that ada is one hell of a language just answer this
:why java developpment is growing that and ada vanishing in the other
way.just look at the amzing number of java tools compared with ada ones.Java
is like real combat and ada like pro wrestling (it doesn't work in relal
life (for finding a job (yeah yeah i know there's 3 or may 6 ada jobs
outhere))).i know about rational tools.but the support sucks (there's not
enough market for a decent support) they re giving object ada for free.

be realistic(unless you work on a company developping somme kind of ada
tools to sell)

@ 2000-02-04  0:00       ` Samuel T. Harris
From: Samuel T. Harris @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

HollymaN wrote:

> Come on ,Come on man, you can't ignore java nowdays it's the next big
> thing,if you are so sure that ada is one hell of a language just answer this
> :why java developpment is growing that and ada vanishing in the other
> way.just look at the amzing number of java tools compared with ada ones.Java
> is like real combat and ada like pro wrestling (it doesn't work in relal
> life (for finding a job (yeah yeah i know there's 3 or may 6 ada jobs
> outhere))).i know about rational tools.but the support sucks (there's not
> enough market for a decent support) they re giving object ada for free.
>
> be realistic(unless you work on a company developping somme kind of ada
> tools to sell)

I work on the space station training simulator along with about
300 other engineers. This is a real system, or at least a
simulated real system, or is that a simulation of a real system.
Anyway, my project may be prowrestling to you, but the real deal
is just up the street at Boeing and NASA where the real space
station is also being done in Ada. NASA recognizes that the
simulation used for training is just as important as the real
software in the station. So I guess we are "real combat" after all!
All I read about Java are toys and demos. Small fry systems
in an ocean of sharks and whales.

You can't get more real than software running systems and hardware
in the life-threatening, vacumn waiting to kill ya, radiation
waiting to kill ya, space debris waiting to kill ya, if something
goes wrong we're probably dead meat reality of manned space operations!
Its almost as real simulating it, at least as far as level of
effort and degree of detail.

I wrote Ada for the Air Force as well as the commerical world
before coming here along with Fortran and C. I'd rather be working
on something important like I am now than some commercial sugar-coated
donut hole kind of confection software. Those that know do the really
important stuff in Ada. If you want to work on this kind
of stuff, other posts in this thread point you to job
hunting resources. If not, then more power to you on your
road to Java. Be well!

--
Samuel T. Harris, Principal Engineer
Raytheon, Aerospace Engineering Services

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-04  0:00   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check http://www.adapower.com

--

@ 2000-02-05  0:00       ` James S. Rogers
From: James S. Rogers @ 2000-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

HollymaN wrote in message ...
>Come on ,Come on man, you can't ignore java nowdays it's the next big
>thing,if you are so sure that ada is one hell of a language just answer
this
>:why java developpment is growing that and ada vanishing in the other
>way.just look at the amzing number of java tools compared with ada
ones.Java
>is like real combat and ada like pro wrestling (it doesn't work in relal
>life (for finding a job (yeah yeah i know there's 3 or may 6 ada jobs
>outhere))).i know about rational tools.but the support sucks (there's not
>enough market for a decent support) they re giving object ada for free.
>
>be realistic(unless you work on a company developping somme kind of ada
>tools to sell)

All I can say is that I am glad that such an ignorant and immature developer
is not on my team developing robotic control systems with Ada (a job
that Java cannot currently support).

Why do you think there are jobs for the Ada tools developers? Gee, I guess
somebody must be buying them! I wonder how that could be if nobody
wants them!  DUH.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-05  0:00         ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel T. Harris wrote:
> You can't get more real than software running systems and hardware
> in the life-threatening, vacumn waiting to kill ya, radiation
> waiting to kill ya, space debris waiting to kill ya, if something
> goes wrong we're probably dead meat reality of manned space operations!
> Its almost as real simulating it, at least as far as level of
> effort and degree of detail.

I couldn't agree more. If you want to play with foofoo applets that
animate something on a web page, then go take your Java toys out of here
and have fun with it. If you want to be involved in software that has
*real* consequences in the *real* world, you'll find that this is
typically done in Ada. Learn it and you can become qualified to "run
with the big dogs"!

> important stuff in Ada. If you want to work on this kind
> of stuff, other posts in this thread point you to job
> hunting resources. If not, then more power to you on your
> road to Java. Be well!

We see these sorts of posts here all too often. "I'm a student and they
taught me Ada and they should have taught me
XYZ.....blah...blah...blah..." What I want to know is why someone who
feels Ada is useless wants to spend their time lurking around C.L.A.
saying so. IMHO, If you don't like Ada and think you learned nothing
valuable by studying Ada and aren't being deluged by job offers in Ada,
then go cruise around some other newsgroup because clearly there is
nothing here that matters to you. I guess it is sometimes hard for some
people to resist the temptation to whine about things instead of finding
something constructive and positive to do with their experiences.

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin."
        --  Allan Meltzer, Economist

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-06  0:00       ` Kev Mepham
From: Kev Mepham @ 2000-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may be interested to know that Ada (originally intended for use by the
US DoD) is used as the standard programming language for a fair proportion
of the flight control systems in modern military aircraft.  It is still
difficult to beat for safety critical real-time systems.

@ 2000-02-06  0:00       ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> :) good reply congratulations.You seem smarter then i thought(despite the
> fact that use ada).

> I was taught ada at the university,and when on the real world i just
> could'nt market myself with that [...]

Remember that in the real world there are plenty of "pointy haired bosses"
who take their mouse as a microphone and read in their magazines that Java
is the brightest invention since the wheel. For them, you have to decorate
your curriculum vitae with Java, C++ etc. Invest in a "Microsoft certified"
diploma to boost your chances!

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\

@ 2000-02-07  0:00         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel T. Harris (samuel_t_harris@Raytheon.com) wrote:
: HollymaN wrote:
: >

: I wrote Ada for the Air Force as well as the commerical world
: before coming here along with Fortran and C. I'd rather be working
: on something important like I am now than some commercial sugar-coated
: donut hole kind of confection software. Those that know do the really
: important stuff in Ada.

Another opportunity to point out that "not so important"
programs for the JVM need not be written in JaVa.  Missed.
One of my a bit more open-minded bosses wanted to know,
how this "use Ada for JVM programs" technique should work.
He seemed to be interested.

 Georg Bauhaus

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-07  0:00           ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389C76A7.483A2B43@quadruscorp.com>,
  "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com> wrote:

> We see these sorts of posts here all too often. "I'm a student and
> they taught me Ada and they should have taught me
> XYZ.....blah...blah...blah..." What I want to know is why someone who

With that attitude towards learning new things, it not tough to see why
such a person would get laid off. I was taught Fortran, PDP-11 Assembly,
Pascal, C, Lisp, and APL when I was an undergraduate. I can't say I have
ever gotten a job officially due to my knowledge in any of these. But am
I upset that I learned them? Heavens no!

A language isn't just a set of keywords; it a way of looking at the
world. The important thing was that I was exposed to the concepts
contained in multiple programming languages, and that I know how to
learn new ones if need be. The goal is to teach you how to learn for
yourself, not to teach you how to use language X which you will be able
to use unwaveringly for the entire duration of your 40-year carreer.

Realisticly, is anyone going to fire someone because they know Ada? I
don't think so. Is someone going to get laid off for not knowing the
language that all the company's work is being done in? That's quite
possible. Is it your university's fault that you didn't bother to learn
that language? I don't think so.

Finally I'd like to mention that I've noticed over the 11 years of my
career that for a competent professional being laid off is quite often a
blessing in (a rather effective) disguise.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-07  0:00           ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Richard D Riehle" <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I am always surprised when people transmogrify discussion of language
> selection into a contact sport.  Such outbursts are reminiscent of
> what passes for political dialogue in the great state of Texas. :-)

As we say in Texas, "Them's fightin' words, Suh!"  (as if to prove your
statement true).   :-)

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-07  0:00       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"HollymaN" <hollyman@usa.net> writes:
> i worked very hard for a month
> but one day a newely graduated student came and was better than me (three
> years at univesity with c++,visual c++,borland c++)

It's possible that you just aren't very good, and that it wouldn't have
mattered what language your college taught you. My wife has been trying
to hire a programmer for over a year, and sees many applicants with
advanced degrees who can not pass a fairly simple programming test.

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-07  0:00         ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>HollymaN wrote in message ...
>>Come on ,Come on man, you can't ignore java nowdays

   [snipped a few lines of trench warfare harangue]

>>is like real combat and ada like pro wrestling (it doesn't work in
relal

I am always surprised when people transmogrify discussion of language
selection into a contact sport.  Such outbursts are reminiscent of
what passes for political dialogue in the great state of Texas. :-)

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com

* Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
@ 2000-02-08  0:00             ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-02-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <s9uhj6n0hse58@corp.supernews.com>,
	"Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com> wrote:

>"Richard D Riehle" <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
><snip>
>> I am always surprised when people transmogrify discussion of language
>> selection into a contact sport.  Such outbursts are reminiscent of
>> what passes for political dialogue in the great state of Texas. :-)
>
>As we say in Texas, "Them's fightin' words, Suh!"  (as if to prove your
>statement true).   :-)

It was no less an authority on Texas politics than Lloyd Benson
who characterized Texas political debate as a "contact sport."

Richard