From: "Jesse Farmer" <tujuggernaut@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: GUI development: Windex vs. GTK vs. Anything else
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:24:26 -0500
Date: 2001-01-02T19:24:26-05:00	[thread overview]

In more detail:
I need to create a piano roll editor, which is something found in most midi
sequencing packages.
It consists of basically a piano keyboard, drawn vertically on the left edge
of the screen, and a series of lines extending from every other key on the
piano, horizontally across the screen.
Vertically, across the top of the screen are measure division (a measure is
a unit of time in music), which have corresponding lines that run vertically
across the screen.

The user needs to be able to zoom in and out in terms of scaling both
horizontally and vertically.  For example, the user may need to see the
entire range of the keyboard on the left, but across the top, want only one
measure, which takes up the whole screen.  Or various other arrangements of
scaling.  I hope this makes sense.

Also needed is a sort of Windows Explorer type interface screen, for
interfacing to our proprietary data structure.  Note: this has nothing to do
with the actual hard drive, or files on it.  This would end up being a two
or possibly 3 pane screen, with a hiearchical folder thing on the left, and
lists of events on the right.

Also needed is a graphical mixing counsole, which attempts to look like a
simplified real mixer, meaning vertical sliders, and knobs, which I want so
that you can click on them, and move the mouse vertically to increment or
decrement them, instead of trying to turn the knob with a semi circular
motion of the mouse.  I hope that makes sense.

So these are the specific GUI problems we are expecting to encounter.  Most
of the rest of this application can be done with standard type widgets, like
buttons, text boxes, label controls, etc....

Again, any help would be appreciated.  Like I said, the Win32 platform is of
most concern here, but we would like the ability to port in the future
relatively easily, since the vast majority of the code is being written with
portability in mind.  Thanks for your suggestions/help!
-Jesse Farmer