* ANN: Generic LZH compressor-decompressor
@ 2000-01-24  0:00 Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ANN: Generic LZH compressor-decompressor

Nothing more than an Ada95 translation of the famous
LZHuf algorithm developed and published by H. Yoshizaki.
Should compile on every Ada95 compiler, on every OS or platform
without change Test with GNAT and ObjectAda. Details in the archive.
Genericity allows to compress/decompress all sorts of data flows,
not only files, but also data, arrays in memory, streams etc.

Files: biblio/lzh.ads, biblio/lzh.adb (the package)
and divers/lz.adb (a small file compression/decompression
utility).

Archive: http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/logiciel/paqs.zip
Web page: http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

Have fun - Gautier

* Re: ANN: Generic LZH compressor-decompressor
@ 2000-01-24  0:00   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

- About a central repository: a good idea - note that there is already
  the Public Ada Library, don't forget it.
  It is not versus "home page" archives that are *much* simpler in the short
  term to manage. Of course domains like XOOM are often firewalled-out
  and the servers collapse frequently. Copies to safer haevens are better...

- About search engines: don't worry, the usual ones are already good at finding
  resources. I have the impression that keywords in the _title_ (not
  as meta or such) are the most efficient. There are also _reviewed_
  categories in Lycos, Yahoo, Netscape...
  e.g. http://directory.netscape.com/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada
  where it is worth the effort to submit things.

  For an overview a meta-engine is interesting, like
    http://www.metacrawler.com/index_text.html

  Maybe an Ada Web Server could be programmed as a meta-engine specialized
  in Ada?...

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\

@ 2000-01-24  0:00 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I try to put my contributed code on AdaPower so that we will have a
central repository, or at least a central catalog. I suggest that thos
perferrin to put their code on their own site (which is a logical thing to
do...) contribute a paragraph explantion+link to AdaPower.
Another option is to have a "limited area search engine" that will search
only Ada sites. This should be trivial to do, using altavista and a list
of sites, or at least I think it should be. Anyone know more, or care to
help setting something like that up?

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!

* Re: ANN: Generic LZH compressor-decompressor
@ 2000-01-24  0:00     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Gautier wrote:

|- About a central repository: a good idea - note that there is already
|the Public Ada Library, don't forget it.

Right! I really do not know how it is managed, by whom, frequency etc. But
it is indeed a useful source. Somehow, when I looked for things the
altavista/adahome/adapower approach worked better for me. I never felt
comfortable with the indexing/classifiaction etc. But maybe it is because
there were more compilers out there for Ada83, where as now it seems all
public code is direclty compilabe on GNAT...

|It is not versus "home page" archives that are *much* simpler in the short
|term to manage. Of course domains like XOOM are often firewalled-out
|and the servers collapse frequently. Copies to safer haevens are better...

Agreed.

|- About search engines: don't worry, the usual ones are already good at finding
|resources.

I like search enignes. But still searching for "whatever +Ada" doesn't
always bring you the things your are looking for. It gives you papers and
pages with links etc etc. A better search interface would allow you to say
"code to download" and will only bring Ada code. But perhaps I am
dreeming. Look at HIPPIAS (http://hippias.evansville.edu/) for something
like that for philosophy.

@ 2000-02-01  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-02-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am still working on adding a CPAN style functionality and a searchable
database of Ada code (both on and off site to AdaPower) to AdaPower. I have
unfortunately had a few set backs in the last month or so that have not
allowed me to persue it just yet. Once that is ready people will be able to
add and maintain listings for their code / examples on their own sites
and/or on AdaPower. This should help considerably to boost the reuse of Ada
code on AdaPower and elsewhere.

David Botton