From: swhalen@netcom.com (Steve Whalen)
Subject: Re: GnatLib vs. pragma Interface
Date: 1997/08/21
Date: 1997-08-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

re: pragma Interface and the rationale saying pragma Import was
equivalent (and if the rationale said that, it was wrong):

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be. Part of what the rational
does say about pragma Interface / Import:

B.1  Interfacing Pragmas

Experience with pragma Interface in Ada 83 has uncovered a number of
issues that may interfere with developing portable Ada code that is to
be linked with foreign language modules.  We have therefore removed
pragma Interface (though the implementation may choose still to
support it for upward compatibility) and have added the three pragmas
Import (effectively replacing Interface), Export and Convention which
provide the following capabilities:

So I guess I was reading in / remembering more equivalence between
Interface and Import than is there. I agree that "effectively replace"
is not "equivalence", so the rationale is right.

Thanks for the clarification. I kind of thought the use of pragma
Interface in GNAT was an anachronism.  I hardly think of it as
much of a bug (more a potential future buglette!).  But I'll send
it off to the official bug list so it can be cleaned up some day.

--
                    Steve Whalen     swhalen@netcom.com