From: Olivier Devuns <devuns@aonix.nospam.fr>
Subject: Re: An Old Market in which Ada May Play
Date: 21 Jun 2001 17:27:59 +0200
Date: 2001-06-21T17:27:59+02:00	[thread overview]

"Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> writes:

> There is often a myopic view of the universe that goes along with many users
> of Unix-like OS's. Sometimes they see the universe as ***UNIX*** and a
> handful of other curious but totally useless and insignificant products.
> Sometimes the view is that EVERYBODY LOVES ***UNIX***!!! and the only people
> who might register any complaints about it are the two or three people in
> the whole universe who use those curious but totally useless and
> insignificant other products. Portability thus begins to mean "I
> successfully moved it from one flavor of Unix to another flavor of Unix".
> True portability is really something much more difficult to achieve. (And
> having "portability" between two or more flavors of Unix being a "Big Deal"
> is itself a condemnation of Unix. It ought to be *trivial* to move code from
> one Unix box to another - but apparently not.)

There's no such thing as portability, only software that's been ported.
Besides, I'm not under the impression that obstacles to porting were
put in purpose, by their respective authors, in most Unix flavors. Can the
same be said of some of the "other systems" ?

--
Olivier Devuns                         | Aonix: http://www.aonix.com