From: stachour@winternet.com (Paul D. Stachour)
Subject: Re: static vs dynamic linking with GNAT
Date: 1996/07/02
Date: 1996-07-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

kls@icf.hrb.com (Ken Slater) writes:

>I am running GNAT on a Silicon Graphics (SGI) system using Irix 5.3.

>We have built an executable on the host machine and want to also run on
>a target machine on which GNAT has not been installed. The problem is
>that the executable was linked with the shared library file
>'libgnat.so', so when the executable is run on the target machine,
>it looks for 'libgnat.so'.

>Is there a way to force 'gcc' to link in the static libraries (libgnat.a).
>I tried the '-static' option without success (I may have missed
>something)?

>Thanks.

I don't know about gnat, but for other things which I have done
on sun-solaris, I have ensured that the LD_LIBRAY_PATH in the
process that does the linking does *not* contain the directory
that the ".so's" are in, and that the ".so's" are *not* in
any of the directories findable by the -L parameter to gcc.

Often, the easiest way to do this, if you have control of the names,
is totemporarliy rename the x.so to x.dll or some other name.
--
Paul D. Stachour, Software Engineer and Methodologist
9532 First Avenue South                 260-6A-08 3M Center