* Porting Ada / Motif code from VMS to Solaris
@ 2002-01-30 17:54 George
From: George @ 2002-01-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

   I'm attempting what I hope will be a fairly straight forward
project.  We are migrating some tools from an older VAX platform to
Solaris.  The tool depens heavily on a GUI developed using Motif and
its UIL.

   One option is to rewrite the interface in something like GtkAda and
attempt to connect the new interface to the original base code. This
approach would be the most intensive.
   The other approach would be to find replacement libraries (Motif,
X) so that the majority of the code can be recompiled.  (cheap or free
if possible)
   I would like advice/input on if it is possible to find the correct
libraries for Solaris or weather I should set out on rebuilding the
interface.

   Any input would be appreciated.

   Thanks,
      George Clark

* Re: Porting Ada / Motif code from VMS to Solaris
@ 2002-01-30 18:54 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-30 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Jan 2002 09:54:39 -0800, George wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>    I'm attempting what I hope will be a fairly straight forward
> project.  We are migrating some tools from an older VAX platform to
> Solaris.  The tool depens heavily on a GUI developed using Motif and
> its UIL.
>
>    One option is to rewrite the interface in something like GtkAda and
> attempt to connect the new interface to the original base code. This
> approach would be the most intensive.

Yes, but it would then also run on Linux and Windows and possibly mac
too. So if one wants to use Linux later then a recompile should be
enough (assuming that there are no other OS dependent routines in the
source of course)

>    The other approach would be to find replacement libraries (Motif,
> X) so that the majority of the code can be recompiled.  (cheap or free
> if possible)

Lesstif is free (isn't motif also now?)

--
Preben Randhol         �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: Porting Ada / Motif code from VMS to Solaris
@ 2002-01-30 19:46 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-01-30 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <48581c38.0201300954.39daed48@posting.google.com>, g.l.clark@lmco.com (George) writes:

>    The other approach would be to find replacement libraries (Motif,
> X) so that the majority of the code can be recompiled.  (cheap or free
> if possible)

Doesn't Solaris come with Motif ?

Certainly the DEC Ada compatible bindings to Motif were modified by
someone in the past so they would work on big endian machines, and
I thought that was for Solaris.

* Re: Porting Ada / Motif code from VMS to Solaris
@ 2002-01-31  8:20 ` Alan Coopersmith
From: Alan Coopersmith @ 2002-01-31  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

g.l.clark@lmco.com (George) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
|   The other approach would be to find replacement libraries (Motif,
|X) so that the majority of the code can be recompiled.  (cheap or free
|if possible)

Solaris includes Motif & X libraries, and a uil compiler, for C, but
I don't know about Ada bindings.  (I think Ada support was dropped a
while ago.)

Alan Coopersmith                              alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/           aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM

* Re: Porting Ada / Motif code from VMS to Solaris
@ 2002-01-31 15:31   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

alanc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Coopersmith) wrote in message news:<a3auoc$175f$1@agate.berkeley.edu>...
> g.l.clark@lmco.com (George) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
> |   The other approach would be to find replacement libraries (Motif,
> |X) so that the majority of the code can be recompiled.  (cheap or free
> |if possible)
>
> Solaris includes Motif & X libraries, and a uil compiler, for C, but
> I don't know about Ada bindings.  (I think Ada support was dropped a
> while ago.)

If you are using UIL, you only need bindings for about 3 routines,
which you can easily create yourself if you have to. That's one of the
beauties of UIL. You can even use the VMS bindings as a "guide". ;-)

Whoever decided to do everything in UIL did you guys a great service.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: Porting Ada / Motif code from VMS to Solaris
@ 2002-02-01 15:28   ` Jean-Claude MAHIEUX
From: Jean-Claude MAHIEUX @ 2002-02-01 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)