From: Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Naming conventions : where does the capital letter come frome ?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:40:15 +0100
Date: 2008-09-27T20:40:15+01:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:52:52 -0700 (PDT), Hibou57 (Yannick Duch�ne)
<yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>Hello and Bonsoir,
>
>I was wondering why the most used Ada naming convention use capital
>letters with underscores.... further more, why capital letters while
>there are underscores to help to discern identifier parts ?

1.  Why not?
2.  For fast reading, two visual cues are better than one.
3.  To fit in with the crowd ;-)

After all, it doesn't create any clutter. It's just a few capital
letters.

Incidentally, acronyms are one of the reasons why I don't like
theJavaStandardNamingConvention. aTLAInAnIdentifierMakesItConfusing
because the word break isn't immediately obvious. Plus the underscores
serve the same purpose as blank lines - spacing things out a bit.

For capital letters, the reasons probably aren't so strong, and some
people use different case conventions for different kinds of
identifiers. I've seen generic names in all-caps, for example, and
variables in all-lowercase, with mixed case used for functions,
procedures and (IIRC) types.