* GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS Ada Compilation Error "Out of file handles"
@ 2003-06-24 15:13 Debs Wisbey
From: Debs Wisbey @ 2003-06-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I am trying to compile an Ada program using GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS and
it gets through so many of the Ada files and then displays the "Out of
file handles" error message for all of the other files (I think) that
it is trying to compile.

There are about 110 files that I am trying to compile and they are all
very closely linked.  Can anyone suggest why I am getting this
message, and how I can get round it?

Thank you for any help that you can give me,
Debs.

* Re: GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS Ada Compilation Error "Out of file handles"
@ 2003-06-24 16:43 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-06-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Debs Wisbey wrote:
> All,
>
> I am trying to compile an Ada program using GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS and
> it gets through so many of the Ada files and then displays the "Out of
> file handles" error message for all of the other files (I think) that
> it is trying to compile.
>
> There are about 110 files that I am trying to compile and they are all
> very closely linked.  Can anyone suggest why I am getting this
> message, and how I can get round it?
>
> Thank you for any help that you can give me,
> Debs.

Sheesh, its been ages since I did some DOS work, but IIRC there is a
CONFIG.SYS parameter that you can specify the maximum number of open
files that DOS needs to support. I am sure that someone on the
comp.os.msdos list can give you a more direct answer on this.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS Ada Compilation Error "Out of file handles"
@ 2003-06-24 17:54   ` George Shapovalov
From: George Shapovalov @ 2003-06-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> Debs Wisbey wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I am trying to compile an Ada program using GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS and
>> it gets through so many of the Ada files and then displays the "Out of
>> file handles" error message for all of the other files (I think) that
>> it is trying to compile.
>
> Sheesh, its been ages since I did some DOS work, but IIRC there is a
> CONFIG.SYS parameter that you can specify the maximum number of open
> files that DOS needs to support. I am sure that someone on the
> comp.os.msdos list can give you a more direct answer on this.

Yes, that parameter is called "files". Set something like
files=200
in config.sys and you should be Ok. I don't remember though whether
there is a cup for how large that number can be..
Another related one is "buffers=xxx".

George

* Re: GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS Ada Compilation Error "Out of file handles"
@ 2003-06-24 18:41 ` Gautier Write-only
From: Gautier Write-only @ 2003-06-24 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In order to complete the information, I'd recommend to read the
DJGPP FAQ, esp. http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq8_2.html .
And also the competent newgroup for "GCC for MS-DOS" is
news:comp.os.msdos.djgpp .
HTH
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS Ada Compilation Error "Out of file handles"
@ 2003-07-04 12:35 ` Neil Trotter
From: Neil Trotter @ 2003-07-04 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <b3b4e2d7.0306240713.73f028f7@posting.google.com>, Debs
Wisbey said:

> There are about 110 files that I am trying to compile and they are all
> very closely linked.  Can anyone suggest why I am getting this
> message, and how I can get round it?

You've probably resolved this by now, but IIRC, the max value for
FILES=nnn in config.sys (that works) is a strange figure like 254.  It
may be documented as 255 or 256 somewhere, but I seem to recall finding
that didn't quite work.  I forget what happens, and how I tested, it's
all a little foggy now, but I did find this for myself, it wasn't a
"friend of a friend"   :-)

Good luck,

--Neil.

--