* Re: Microsoft targets missile at Ada9X
@ 1993-06-15 22:05 mcsun!sunic!psinntp!psinntp!shellgate!camo!rgh
From: mcsun!sunic!psinntp!psinntp!shellgate!camo!rgh @ 1993-06-15 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

> [[the same old stuff, removed for brevities sake]]

While I envy your energy, I do stop and wonder every so often -
why do you choose this technical discussion group on which to
vent your frustration? After all, years have gone by, and nobody
reading from this group has solved the problems you bring up.

Do you vent on this group because it just seems right, or are you
under the impression that if you can only get your message through
our thick heads that all of us can go forth and solve any problems
you perceive with Ada?

I'm just curious if you display the same amount of enery writing
letters to Congress, the DoD, DoD funded companies, the AJPO,
educational institutes, technical publishers, etc - or if the
readers of this group are just being blessed in a special way?

No smiley, I'm really quite curious.

--
Richard G. Hash
Shell Bellaire Research Center, Houston TX

@ 1993-06-18 13:26 Steve Wall
From: Steve Wall @ 1993-06-18 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93Jun14141508@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com
(Gregory Aharonian) wrote:

>     A recent announcement from Microsoft, while having nothing to do with
> Ada, will go a long way towards making the efforts of guys like Mike
> Feldman and the GNU Ada project irrelevant.
>
>     In the June 14, 1993 issue of Computerworld, page 48, there is a story
> announcing that Microsoft will be donating the source code (4 million lines
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> of C++ code) to universities and research institutions around the country,
> similar to licensing of Unix by ATT in the 1970's and 1980's.

Source code to what?  Windows?  DOS?  Windows Solitaire? :-)

Steve Wall

* Re: Microsoft targets missile at Ada9X
@ 1993-06-21 17:43 Esther Lumsdon
From: Esther Lumsdon @ 1993-06-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>    A recent announcement from Microsoft, while having nothing to do with
>Ada, will go a long way towards making the efforts of guys like Mike
>Feldman and the GNU Ada project irrelevant.

>    In the June 14, 1993 issue of Computerworld, page 48, there is a story
>announcing that Microsoft will be donating the source code (4 million lines
>of C++ code) to universities and research institutions around the country,
>similar to licensing of Unix by ATT in the 1970's and 1980's.

>    "We will be able to resynchonize where we are in relation to the
>commercial world", said Howard Wactlar, vice president for research
>computing at Carnegie Mellon University.  That, he said, wil help the
>universities "create knowledge and transfer it to society".

What does this donated source code do?  Is it source for a compiler, or for
device drivers or what?  For example, source for the software provided in the
Tandy model 100 (by Microsoft) would not be very useful these days.
--
-- Esther Lumsdon, not speaking for Verdix.   esther@verdix.com
"It's time to cut bait and talk turkey.  It takes 2 snakes to cross a

* Microsoft targets missile at Ada9X
@ 1993-06-25 12:03 Colin James 0621
From: Colin James 0621 @ 1993-06-25 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian posts a message regarding this subject, but I could not
find anything about Microsoft in the message.

Re running a reuse center at one's own expense,  I have done just that on
a private BBS I run as an avocation (because it has nothing to do with my
vocation which ignores Ada) and have purchased Ada source code libraries
at my own expense.  I do this without looking for kudos and indeed have
been harassed by the lead engineer of a local (big) contractor which uses
Ada.  But I keep on going as the everready bunny and without moaning
because I for one am certain that Ada83/9X is destined to endure and
conquer the fad languages/methodologies in time.  My plan is to be a
gold collar worker, as Paul Strassmann puts it, in the year 2000.  We
shall have to see, but until then I hope to do my job well as a C and
Oracle programmer with the full knowledge that those non-disciplines
can produce character by teaching me what not to do with Ada.  The
only victim in the Ada vs others language wars is the end user who
is forced to use non-zero-defect code, such as in Windows NT beta.