* TASK and Gnat 1.83 under Linux
@ 1994-11-09 11:00 rogliano patrice
From: rogliano patrice @ 1994-11-09 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hie guys,

First I would like to excuse myself for my bad english (I am a french Student)...

I am learning Ada at University and I am trying to use Gnat on my Linux Box.
All the programs I've compiled without any task succeeded BUT I couldn't
use any Task...
The message I received told me that some symbols couldn't be resolved during
the binding phase (gnatbl -o task task.ali).
So I tried to use the library libgthreads.a which is in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.6.0/gnatlib/
but this file is just about 200 bytes!!! It couldn't bind either....

My question is: How to compile a simple program with a Task ?

		Patrice ROGLIANO (DESS SCHM / ORSAY)

* Re: TASK and Gnat 1.83 under Linux
@ 1994-11-10  6:15 ` Sean McNeil
From: Sean McNeil @ 1994-11-10  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39qa42$96r@upsn2.u-psud.fr>,
rogliano patrice <rogliano@hpux_19.u-psud.fr> wrote:

>	Hie guys,
>
>First I would like to excuse myself for my bad english (I am a french Student)...
>
>I am learning Ada at University and I am trying to use Gnat on my Linux Box.
>All the programs I've compiled without any task succeeded BUT I couldn't
>use any Task...
>The message I received told me that some symbols couldn't be resolved during
>the binding phase (gnatbl -o task task.ali).
>So I tried to use the library libgthreads.a which is in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.6.0/gnatlib/
>but this file is just about 200 bytes!!! It couldn't bind either....

I believe that libgthreads.a is just an interface to pthreads (or just
a stub library??).  What you need is a libpthreads.a - a library for
pthread support.

>My question is: How to compile a simple program with a Task ?
>

>		Patrice ROGLIANO (DESS SCHM / ORSAY)

I have compiled a pthread library under Linux (I don't recall where I got
it), but unfortunately, the library is incomplete.  I still get unresolved
references with this library.  Until a complete pthreads library is
available for Linux, I am afraid you will not be able to use tasking with
gnat's Ada 9x.  Sorry.

Sean McNeil

* Re: TASK and Gnat 1.83 under Linux
@ 1994-11-11 12:28   ` Rolf Ebert
From: Rolf Ebert @ 1994-11-11 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <smcneilCz1G1r.Jos@netcom.com> smcneil@netcom.com (Sean McNeil) writes:

> rogliano patrice <rogliano@hpux_19.u-psud.fr> wrote:
> >
> >	Hie guys,
> >
> >First I would like to excuse myself for my bad english (I am a french Student)...
> >
> >I am learning Ada at University and I am trying to use Gnat on my Linux Box.
> >All the programs I've compiled without any task succeeded BUT I couldn't
> >use any Task...
> >The message I received told me that some symbols couldn't be resolved during
> >the binding phase (gnatbl -o task task.ali).
> >So I tried to use the library libgthreads.a which is in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.6.0/gnatlib/
> >but this file is just about 200 bytes!!! It couldn't bind either....
>
> I believe that libgthreads.a is just an interface to pthreads (or just
> a stub library??).  What you need is a libpthreads.a - a library for
> pthread support.

The pthreads library is based on early work for the Gnu Ada runtime.
Gthreads and pthreads have some quite common parts. Some exported names
are different and functionality is not exactly the same.  Unfortunately
some parts of gthreads are written in Sparc assembler, which makes it
hard to port it to other systems. As far as I know this part has been
rewritten in C for the pthreads library.

There seems to be quite some interest in using Ada task on Linux. I
don't have the time and the knowledge to do the port myself, but I can
give some initial help, if someone voloteers.

Right now the file /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.6.0/adalib/libgthreads.a is just a
dummy. Its existance is needed for gnatbl, but actually this lib does
not contain any useful symbol.

	Rolf
Rolf Ebert	Conseil en Energetique et Simulation               (Team Ada)
                Beratung fuer Energiesysteme und Simulation
Tel: +49 89 30.77.88.00
Fax: +49 89 30.77.91.00                              Rolf.Ebert@waporo.muc.de