From: Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: SGI Ada95 compiler
Date: 8 Mar 2002 06:47:24 -0600
Date: 2002-03-08T06:47:24-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <3c8882ef.1896456@news.demon.co.uk>, john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) writes:
> On 7 Mar 2002 17:18:22 -0800, byhoe@greenlime.com (Adrian Hoe) wrote:

>>Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
>>especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?
>
> First I've heard of being able to inherit from C++ classes - that
> would be interesting! Anything written purely in Ada 95 *should* be
> compilable by other Ada 95 compilers - it *is* a standard after all
> (although it would obviously depend on the supported annexes)!

There are only three external languages in those annexes, and C++
is not one of them.   From a user perspective the syntax for
external language interfaces may seem easy, but depending on
the platform implementing it might be more difficult.  To some
extent GNAT has an easier time of that because they can say that
GNU C (for instance) is the one with which they are compatible
on multiple platforms.