From: Natasha Kerensikova <lithiumcat@gmail.com>
Subject: Ada on Nintendo DS ?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:56:10 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2012-04-27T18:56:10+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

I have been desiring getting a try at developing for embedded platforms
for a while now.

Moreover, I just happen to own a device that probably qualifies as
embedded, with two ARM CPUs (one ARM7 and one ARM9), 4 MB RAM and a few
DSPs. The device is known as Nintendo DS lite.

So how do I compile code suitable to run on such a device?

I haven't been able to find anything that perform such a task, but I
have missed it?

As far as I can tell, devkitARM is a toolchain derived from GCC that
targets my hardware (it seems there is also some libraries to deal with
DSPs and stuff, but I can care about this later on). On the other end,
gnatdroid seems to successfully translate Ada code into binary that can
be fed to ARM CPUs. So unless I'm missing something, there is nothing
new to discover, I would only need to merge both derivations.

Would anyone have an estimation or a bound on how difficult it can be?

I have never built a compiler myself (except gnat-aux ports, but it just
works, so I have no actual experience of making a compiler code build),
so I'm not sure exactly how much of a task it is.

Maybe I should start with smaller steps, like writing C stuff going
through devkitARM, and then only start aiming at Ada?

Thanks in advance for your insights,
Natasha