* ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-09 15:05 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-01-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of possible interest to Ada aficionados (since it is written in Ada 2005)
V1.9e of ee9, my emulator of the classic British mainframe, the EE KDF9,
is now available in versions for:
   Windows (XP/SP3 or later),
   Linux (x86_32 and x86_64) and
   Mac OS X (Intel and PPC) at:

  <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/emulation/emulator.html#Download>

Thanks to Bill Gallagher and Mike Hore for the Windows, Linux and PPC
builds.

If you run GNAT GPL 2011 on a Solaris box, I'd love a SPARC build to
complete the set! 8-)

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-11 15:45 ` usenet
From: usenet @ 2012-01-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bill,

Very interesting announcement, well done!

> If you run GNAT GPL 2011 on a Solaris box, I'd love a SPARC build to
> complete the set! 8-)

As far as I could see on the libre site, there is no GNAT available at all
for SPARC. The only thing downloadable appears to be SPARK. I have a copy of
3.15p for SPARC installed somewhere but I suspect your code wouldn't build
under it?

I'd be glad to help with SPARC builds but I don't have anything newer than
3.15p and until I can learn to build gcc-Ada myself I'm a bit stuck since I
prefer not to use other peoples packages although if AdaCore would host a
package and stand behind it I would give it a shot.

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-11 16:37   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-01-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/01/2012 15:45, in article slrnjgrbkr.2sa.localhost@example.org,
"usenet@postinghost.com" <usenet@postinghost.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Very interesting announcement, well done!

Thanks, whoever you are.

> As far as I could see on the libre site, there is no GNAT available at all
> for SPARC. The only thing downloadable appears to be SPARK. I have a copy of
> 3.15p for SPARC installed somewhere but I suspect your code wouldn't build
> under it?

You are right: I had not checked what was available under the sparc-solaris
option.  And ee9 certainly won't compile under 3.15p, as it uses several Ada
2005 features in ways that could not easily be avoided.

> I'd be glad to help with SPARC builds but I don't have anything newer than
> 3.15p and until I can learn to build gcc-Ada myself I'm a bit stuck since I
> prefer not to use other peoples packages although if AdaCore would host a
> package and stand behind it I would give it a shot.

It's disappointing that no Solaris GNAT GPL is provided; ee9 is /very/
loosely based on ideas from an emulator I wrote in Ada 95 on a Sun in 1996.

--

@ 2012-01-11 18:35   ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2012-01-11 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/11/2012 04:45 PM, usenet@postinghost.com wrote:
> I'd be glad to help with SPARC builds but I don't have anything newer than
> 3.15p and until I can learn to build gcc-Ada myself I'm a bit stuck since I
> prefer not to use other peoples packages although if AdaCore would host a
> package and stand behind it I would give it a shot.

https://plus.google.com/101553438503824697034/posts/GeyHU1xqTb1
http://ada-dk.org/2011/12/solaris-gnat-packages/

OpenCSW effort to get FSF GCC GNAT on Solaris. I'm pretty sure Maciej
Bliziński did a sparc build also.

--
Thomas Løcke | thomas@12boo.net | http://12boo.net

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-11 20:11 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-01-11 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> If you run GNAT GPL 2011 on a Solaris box, I'd love a SPARC build to
> complete the set! 8-)

If I was doing that it would be solaris-x86; I guess there might be
SPARC hardware on Ebay. Opensolaris does exist, so there is a sort-of
chance; the last time I looked it seemed like a lot of effort for little
gain as against running Linux, but YMMV!

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-11 23:05   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-01-11 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/01/2012 20:11, in article m2wr8y579d.fsf@pushface.org, "Simon Wright"
<simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> If you run GNAT GPL 2011 on a Solaris box, I'd love a SPARC build to
>> complete the set! 8-)
>
> If I was doing that it would be solaris-x86; I guess there might be
> SPARC hardware on Ebay. Opensolaris does exist, so there is a sort-of
> chance; the last time I looked it seemed like a lot of effort for little
> gain as against running Linux, but YMMV!

Indeed.
I was under a false impression about GNAT on SPARC, and the real facts don't
inspire me to take it any further personally. 8-)

--

@ 2012-01-12  6:22     ` usenet
From: usenet @ 2012-01-12  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-01-11, Thomas L�cke <tl@ada-dk.org> wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 04:45 PM, usenet@postinghost.com wrote:
>> I'd be glad to help with SPARC builds but I don't have anything newer than
>> 3.15p and until I can learn to build gcc-Ada myself I'm a bit stuck since I
>> prefer not to use other peoples packages although if AdaCore would host a
>> package and stand behind it I would give it a shot.
>>

> https://plus.google.com/101553438503824697034/posts/GeyHU1xqTb1
> http://ada-dk.org/2011/12/solaris-gnat-packages/
>
> OpenCSW effort to get FSF GCC GNAT on Solaris. I'm pretty sure Maciej
> Blizi??ski did a sparc build also.

Thanks for the links. There are a few package sites for Solaris but they
seem to require you install their tools and many prereqs to use their
packages. I don't use gcc when I can avoid it (on Solaris that is 99% of the
time) and I haven't had a desire to start using it except that I can't get
gcc-Ada without it. I'll see about getting some help building gcc-Ada rather
than using someone else's packages and maybe we'll be able to come up with a
more flexible installation that uses standard paths, that is always a
challenge on Solaris.

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-12  6:28   ` usenet
From: usenet @ 2012-01-12  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-01-11, Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
> Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> If you run GNAT GPL 2011 on a Solaris box, I'd love a SPARC build to
>> complete the set! 8-)
>
> If I was doing that it would be solaris-x86; I guess there might be
> SPARC hardware on Ebay. Opensolaris does exist, so there is a sort-of
> chance; the last time I looked it seemed like a lot of effort for little
> gain as against running Linux, but YMMV!

There are a few reasons why a small but loyal community exists running SPARC
hardware and Solaris. The hardware is beautifully made and has really super
management features and lasts forever. The BIOS is written in FORTH and is
accessible over ethernet. You can manage machines remotely at a level not
found with other servers. Some of us like RISC boxes and especially SPARC
and find it refreshing change from Intel's pizza with everything on it. And
believe it or not, not everyone likes Linux or agrees the whole world should
be GPL. Solaris has professional and thorough doc. What's more, other free
OS like OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD also run on SPARC hardware. In the end
it's quite a refreshing change from Linux on Intel. Try it some time! The
machines are available very cheaply now. OpenSolaris on SPARC is all but
dead, btw.

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-27 15:03 ` Ian Clifton
From: Ian Clifton @ 2012-01-27 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Of possible interest to Ada aficionados (since it is written in Ada 2005)
> V1.9e of ee9, my emulator of the classic British mainframe, the EE KDF9,
> is now available in versions for:
>    Windows (XP/SP3 or later),
>    Linux (x86_32 and x86_64) and
>    Mac OS X (Intel and PPC) at:
>
>   <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/emulation/emulator.html#Download>

Thank you, but where can we ask our questions about Usercode?
uk.comp.vintage.kdf9, anyone?

--
Ian ◎

* Re: ee9 V1.9: Ada 2005 emulator of the KDF9
@ 2012-01-27 15:11   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-01-27 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/01/2012 15:03, in article jfuebu$i5v$1@news.ox.ac.uk, "Ian Clifton"
<ian.clifton@chem.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Of possible interest to Ada aficionados (since it is written in Ada 2005)
>> V1.9e of ee9, my emulator of the classic British mainframe, the EE KDF9,
>> is now available in versions for:
>>    Windows (XP/SP3 or later),
>>    Linux (x86_32 and x86_64) and
>>    Mac OS X (Intel and PPC) at:
>>
>>   <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/emulation/emulator.html#Download>
>
> Thank you, but where can we ask our questions about Usercode?
> uk.comp.vintage.kdf9, anyone?

Rather than start a new group, let's make use of alt.folklore.computers,
where there are already others who have taken an interest.

I dare say that if you consult <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9> you
should find comprehensive answers to any likely questions.
If not, ask away (but not in comp.lang.ada).

Happy KDF9ing.

--

@ 2012-01-27 16:04     ` Ian Clifton
From: Ian Clifton @ 2012-01-27 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On 27/01/2012 15:03, in article jfuebu$i5v$1@news.ox.ac.uk, "Ian Clifton"
> <ian.clifton@chem.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Thank you, but where can we ask our questions about Usercode?
>> uk.comp.vintage.kdf9, anyone?
>
> Rather than start a new group, let's make use of alt.folklore.computers,
> where there are already others who have taken an interest.
>
> I dare say that if you consult <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9> you
> should find comprehensive answers to any likely questions.
> If not, ask away (but not in comp.lang.ada).
>
> Happy KDF9ing.

OK, have done!
--
Ian ◎