From: Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org>
Subject: Re: LLVM--Low Level Virtual Machine--and Ada
Date: 25 Jul 2007 12:12:13 GMT
Date: 2007-07-25T12:12:13+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2007-07-24, Markus E Leypold
<development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> wrote:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"> On 2007-07-24, Duncan Sands <baldrick@free.fr> wrote:                         |
|>                                                                                |
|> |-----------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|> |" Hi Randy,                                                                  ||
|> |                                                                             ||
|> |> Janus/Ada has never used any executable data/stack in its 32-bit versions; ||
|> |> such code would save no more than a clock cycle or two (out of hundreds or ||
|> |> thousands) and as such could not be significant. We use compiler-generated ||
|> |> thunks rather than run-time generated trampolines, and I'm not sure why    ||
|> |> anyone would use the latter (given that they increase the exploitability of||
|> |> a program). Most be something I don't understand...                        ||
|> |                                                                             ||
|> | how do these thunks work?                                                   ||
|> |                                                                             ||
|> | Thanks,                                                                     ||
|> |                                                                             ||
|> | Duncan."                                                                    ||
|> |-----------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|>                                                                                |
|> You should pay RR Software for a source code license to obtain that            |
|> information.                                                                   |
|                                                                                 |
| You speaking for RR software? AFAIR, Randy has been very forward and            |
| frank in the past to discuss compiler implementation (many thanks to            |
| him: I usually learn something from his posts). How do I have to                |
| understand the "should" in this sentence then?                                  |
|                                                                                 |
|  - It's a moral obligation.                                                     |
|                                                                                 |
|  - Randy has changed the rules: Thunks (as opposed to other details)            |
|    are only being disclosed against money.                                      |
|                                                                                 |
|  - ..."                                                                         |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I do not work for RR Software. As in the past, RR Software has a
pricelist including listing money in exchange for an implementation's
source code (
WWW.RRSoftware.com/html/companyinf/prices.htm
). Randy has been and continues to be very informative even when not
charging money for such help. You may wish to look at the rather
detailed
and the subsequent posts in that subthread, which though detailed are
still not as thorough an answer as the source code, which quite
rightly costs money.

Regards,
Colin Paul Gloster