* Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
@ 2006-04-07 10:50 Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-04-07 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

The package gnat-4.1 (=4.1.0-1) has been in unstable for 5 days and,
since it didn't have any release-critical bugs, reached Debian
Etch/testing today. It contains one preliminary patch by yours truly,
but nothing yet related to Ada.  It is now easier for Debian Etch
users to experiment with gnat-4.1; just do:

$ apt-get install gnat-4.1

(beware: it conflicts with gnat, which is still the officially
supported
Ada compiler).

The GCC maintainer for Debian was waiting for GCC 4.1 to be in Etch
before accepting my Ada-related patches into it.  I already have a few
patches ready, namely:

- support symbolic tracebacks
- look for project files in /usr/share/ada/adainclude by default
- link the GNAT tools dynamically against libgnat
- README.gnat

And I'm working on:

- build libgnatvsn and link the GNAT tools dynamically against it

The next step will be:

- build libgnatprj and link the GNAT tools dynamically against it

I'll send these patches to debian-gcc at lists .debian dot org this
weekend.

These patches will most probably appear in 4.1.0-2 in the next few
days.  If you're interested, you can look at the Debian build scripts
and patches for GCC here:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/gcccvs/branches/sid/gcc-4.1/debian

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
@ 2006-04-07 11:30 ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2006-04-07 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> The package gnat-4.1 (=4.1.0-1) has been in unstable for 5 days and,
> since it didn't have any release-critical bugs, reached Debian
> Etch/testing today. It contains one preliminary patch by yours truly,
> but nothing yet related to Ada.  It is now easier for Debian Etch
> users to experiment with gnat-4.1; just do:
>
> $ apt-get install gnat-4.1

It is so nice that poeple like Ludovic exists, he just make life with
Ada a picnic.

PEA

* Re: Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
@ 2006-04-07 12:02   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-04-07 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Poul-Erik. Messages like these are a good incentive for me to
keep on working.

Someone asked me privately about 64-bit support in GtkAda, and I
thought I'd clarify the situation once more here, as this information
may be of general interest.

The transition to gnat-4.1 is in progress but still in early stages.
Like I said, my first patches are not even public yet.  I will try to
provide 64-bit binary packages only after I'm done with the compiler,
because a 64-bit compiler is a prerequiste for any 64-bit binary
packages (d'oh).  I'm not sure yet how much work is needed for good
biarch support in gnat, but basically I want to make sure that both
-m32 and -m64 work, and that libgnat has both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions.  Since I don't have 64-bit hardware, I cannot do this by
myself, so I will rely on input from people who are sufficiently
interested in biarch to invest some of their time into it.  Or, maybe
someone could sponsor me and buy me a 64-bit laptop?  My workhorse is
starting to show its age (it's an IBM ThinkPad T22 from 2001
with an Intel Pentium III @900 MHz - a bit slow to build GCC).

--

@ 2006-04-07 12:27     ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2006-04-07 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Thanks Poul-Erik. Messages like these are a good incentive for me to
> keep on working.
>
> Someone asked me privately about 64-bit support in GtkAda, and I
> thought I'd clarify the situation once more here, as this information
> may be of general interest.
>
> The transition to gnat-4.1 is in progress but still in early stages.
> Like I said, my first patches are not even public yet.  I will try to
> provide 64-bit binary packages only after I'm done with the compiler,
> because a 64-bit compiler is a prerequiste for any 64-bit binary
> packages (d'oh).  I'm not sure yet how much work is needed for good
> biarch support in gnat, but basically I want to make sure that both
> -m32 and -m64 work, and that libgnat has both 32-bit and 64-bit
> versions.  Since I don't have 64-bit hardware, I cannot do this by
> myself, so I will rely on input from people who are sufficiently
> interested in biarch to invest some of their time into it.  Or, maybe
> someone could sponsor me and buy me a 64-bit laptop?  My workhorse is
> starting to show its age (it's an IBM ThinkPad T22 from 2001
> with an Intel Pentium III @900 MHz - a bit slow to build GCC).

That is a issue for me to i have resently puchased a brandnew amd64
workstation, and i will just mention that all af the 32-bit systems
works perfectly in a chroot inviroment, so i suggest you take all the
time nessasary.

Unfortunaly i dont have the means to sponsor you a new machine, but i am
willing to test some eksperimental packages if you like.

PEA

* Re: Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
@ 2006-04-08 10:03     ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2006-04-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> Someone asked me privately about 64-bit support in GtkAda, and I
> thought I'd clarify the situation once more here, as this information
> may be of general interest.

Talking about gnat-4.x: Have you seen my bugreport (only Cc)
concerning gnat-3.x (perhaps even -4.x)? The example in
libao (<http://adi.thur.de/index.php?show=asound>) works
fine with gnat-3.15p, compiles with gnat-3.x but has a
NULL-pointer where it should have a pointer to heap memory (or
stack, don't know the details anymore).

> versions.  Since I don't have 64-bit hardware, I cannot do this by

I can provide you with a login to a 64-bit machine. Let me know
what you need (i.e. pbuilder, your own chroot or whatever you
like).

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Lieber Gott, schmei� Hirn auf Dein verlorenes Schaf Johannes Sackmann. Und
wickel es vorher in Stahl ein.  (Robin S. Socha in de.comp.security.misc)

* Re: Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
@ 2006-04-08 12:52       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-04-08 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth <adi@drcomp.erfurt.thur.de> writes:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>
>> Someone asked me privately about 64-bit support in GtkAda, and I
>> thought I'd clarify the situation once more here, as this information
>> may be of general interest.
>
> Talking about gnat-4.x: Have you seen my bugreport (only Cc)
> concerning gnat-3.x (perhaps even -4.x)? The example in
> libao (<http://adi.thur.de/index.php?show=asound>) works
> fine with gnat-3.15p, compiles with gnat-3.x but has a
> NULL-pointer where it should have a pointer to heap memory (or
> stack, don't know the details anymore).

No, unfortunately.  Where did you report it?  If in the Debian bug
tracking system, against which package?

>> versions.  Since I don't have 64-bit hardware, I cannot do this by
>
> I can provide you with a login to a 64-bit machine. Let me know
> what you need (i.e. pbuilder, your own chroot or whatever you
> like).

Thanks a lot for the offer; I appreciate it very much, but
unfortunately I can't take it.  You see, I do almost all of my Debian
work while commuting on the train, with no network access.  I have an
old Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 at home with 64-bit processors, but I don't
have time to actually use it.  What I really need is a 64-bit laptop.

OTOH, if you can try out my future patches on your machine, that would
be really very helpful.

--

@ 2006-04-08 16:12         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-04-08 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 14:52 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

>   You see, I do almost all of my Debian
> work while commuting on the train, with no network access.  I have an
> old Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 at home with 64-bit processors, but I don't
> have time to actually use it.  What I really need is a 64-bit laptop.

Would it be in the Debian spirit if we could collect
into a PayPal account or some such?

-- Georg

* Re: Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
@ 2006-04-08 17:43           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-04-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:

> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 14:52 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>>   You see, I do almost all of my Debian
>> work while commuting on the train, with no network access.  I have an
>> old Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 at home with 64-bit processors, but I don't
>> have time to actually use it.  What I really need is a 64-bit laptop.
>
> Would it be in the Debian spirit if we could collect into a PayPal
> account or some such?

Heh, nice idea :) I don't see why not.  It is certainly in the spirit
of FreeBSD[1].  I don't know much about PayPal; why should I use it to
collect funds instead of my regular bank account?

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/tcpoptimization.html

--

@ 2006-04-09  9:59         ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2006-04-09  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

>> Talking about gnat-4.x: Have you seen my bugreport (only Cc)
>> concerning gnat-3.x (perhaps even -4.x)? The example in
> No, unfortunately.  Where did you report it?

Only by mail (to you). I've bounced it again.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Lieber einen Platz an der Theke als keinen Platz an der Sonne