* ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-12 21:46 Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-03-12 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm glad to release the first version of asound, the generic
Ada environment for audio-related tasks.

The idea of asound arose some years ago and perhaps Preben Randhol
did something on his own, I don't know...

Currently, asound isn't a generic audio library at all, but it
could be one ;)

The original intention was to write a binding to Ogg/Vorbis
and Preben proposed to start with libao. I haven't thought
about it for years, but last week I decided to implement it.

Actually asound is only a binding to libao, and not even a
complete one. It can play samples and this is more than I need,
because I don't need it ;)

Perhaps someone is interested in extending it. I do not think
that I'll have the time for great improvements within the
next N*six months, so whoever wants to go on coding, please do it ;)

You can download it here: http://adi.thur.de/?show=asound

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Praktisch denken, S�rge schenken

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-12 22:26 ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-03-12 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm glad to release the first version of asound, the generic
> Ada environment for audio-related tasks.
>
> The idea of asound arose some years ago and perhaps Preben Randhol
> did something on his own, I don't know...
>
> Currently, asound isn't a generic audio library at all, but it
> could be one ;)
>
> The original intention was to write a binding to Ogg/Vorbis
> and Preben proposed to start with libao. I haven't thought
> about it for years, but last week I decided to implement it.
>
> Actually asound is only a binding to libao, and not even a
> complete one. It can play samples and this is more than I need,
> because I don't need it ;)
>
> Perhaps someone is interested in extending it. I do not think
> that I'll have the time for great improvements within the
> next N*six months, so whoever wants to go on coding, please do it ;)
>
> You can download it here: http://adi.thur.de/?show=asound

I think the link is broken...

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-12 22:52   ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-03-12 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff C <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> You can download it here: http://adi.thur.de/?show=asound
> I think the link is broken...

Hmm, it's working. Perhaps your advertisement-filter rejects
hostnames with ad*? Do you reach <http://adi.thur.de>?

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Alle Kinder sehen das Grossfeuer, nur nicht Klaus, der ist im Haus.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-12 23:21     ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-03-12 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth wrote:
> Jeff C <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>>You can download it here: http://adi.thur.de/?show=asound
>>
>>I think the link is broken...
>

> Hmm, it's working. Perhaps your advertisement-filter rejects
> hostnames with ad*? Do you reach <http://adi.thur.de>?

Yes. But it looks the same as the original

Das www-Verzeichnis ist unter Administrator-Anmeldung bei
\\Stella\www-doc verf�gbar.

Samba stellt man mit 192.168.0.20:901 ein. Auf der Platte liegt alles
unter /ide.
Email- und Serviceleistungen �ber die Service-Seite

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-12 23:45       ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-03-12 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>I think the link is broken...
>> Hmm, it's working. Perhaps your advertisement-filter rejects
>> hostnames with ad*? Do you reach <http://adi.thur.de>?
> Yes. But it looks the same as the original
> Das www-Verzeichnis ist unter Administrator-Anmeldung bei
> \\Stella\www-doc verf�gbar.
> Samba stellt man mit 192.168.0.20:901 ein. Auf der Platte liegt alles
> unter /ide.
> Email- und Serviceleistungen �ber die Service-Seite

That's great. This is the website from stella . loris.tv (217.89.68.42),
but adi.thur.de is

adi@drcomp:~$ host adi.thur.de
adi.thur.de is an alias for ltw.loris.tv.
ltw.loris.tv has address 217.160.108.140

I don't know which NS-Server returns the wrong IP, but I know
that a friend also had this problem under OSX (ssh ltw returned
stella-hostkey).

adi@drcomp:~$ host -t ns loris.tv
loris.tv name server stella.loris.tv.
loris.tv name server ltw.loris.tv.

adi@drcomp:~$ host ltw.loris.tv 217.89.68.42
Using domain server:
Name: 217.89.68.42
Address: 217.89.68.42#53
ltw.loris.tv has address 217.160.108.140

adi@drcomp:~$ host ltw.loris.tv 217.160.108.140
Using domain server:
Name: 217.160.108.140
Address: 217.160.108.140#53
ltw.loris.tv has address 217.160.108.140

adi@drcomp:~$ host ltw.loris.tv ltw.loris.tv
Using domain server:
Name: ltw.loris.tv
Address: 2001:6f8:900:445::2#53
ltw.loris.tv has address 217.160.108.140

Does someone know what's wrong?

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Mach deine Augen zu! Was du dann siehst geh�rt dir!

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-13  6:53 ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2005-03-13  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Adrian> Hi, I'm glad to release the first version of asound, the
    Adrian> generic Ada environment for audio-related tasks.

Please consider a different name: asound usually means "ALSA sound
system", e.g. on Debian:

libasound2 - ALSA library
libasound2-dev - ALSA library development files
libasound2-doc - ALSA library developer documentation
libasound2-plugins - ALSA library plugins

However, looking at the webpage, your project doesn't even support
ALSA. This is very confusing, IMHO.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-13  9:36   ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-03-13  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Please consider a different name: asound usually means "ALSA sound
> system", e.g. on Debian:

What about "adasound"?

> However, looking at the webpage, your project doesn't even support
> ALSA. This is very confusing, IMHO.

It doesn't come along with a native binding to ALSA, though it
supports ALSA via libao (I believe so, because libao claims
ALSA-support).

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

The UNIX Guru's View of Sex:
# unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

* Re: ANNOUNCE: asound - Ada sound environment
@ 2005-03-14 10:30         ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-03-14 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth <adi@thur.de> wrote:

> I don't know which NS-Server returns the wrong IP, but I know

Problem identified and fixed, waiting for DNS update (12-24hours)

> Does someone know what's wrong?

The root-NS from .tv correctly returned ltw and gta as NS, but
the pointer for ltw was wrong (pointing to stella). I guess
instead of asking the DNS on this IP for the A-Record of ltw,
some systems (Windows, OSX) used the cached entry for ltw
which contained the wrong IP (actually stella). That's why
A-lookups on ltw, stella and gta have returned the right
IP for ltw, but not every client really asks the last NS
to get the IP.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Jeder is sein Gl�ckes Schmied, doch nich jeder hat ein schmuckes Glied