From: randhol@bacchus.pvv.ntnu.no (Preben Randhol)
Subject: GUI in one package or several child packages?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:47:49 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2005-02-10T14:47:49+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi

If one use glade to make GtkAda GUI one get all the gui in one package
for the whole program. If we now don't include dialogs etc... but only
look at a case with a main window and a lot of different features:

   What are the arguments to keep the whole GUI in one package.
   What are the arguments to split it up into child packages belong to
   the different featuers.

Simple example of packages :

      List
      Edit
      Compare
      Print
      Gui      (Contains all the gui)

      opposed to:

      List
      List.gui
      Search.gui
      Edit
      Edit.gui
      Compare
      Compare.gui
      Print
      Print.gui
      Gui      (containing the basics)

What I'm thinking mostly of is maintainability and scalability. I guess
people here has experienced from larger projects that has stretched over
some time.

I see advantages and dissadvantages in both, so I'm asking to get some
new ideas...

Preben