From: Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org>
Subject: Re: Update on Ada packages in Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:52:59 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2004-01-28T15:52:59+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2004-01-28, Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote:

> Testing is safer than unstable.  I use testing all the time.  Testing
> is good for you.
>
> Packages migrate from unstable to testing only after they pass certain
> sanity checks.  In particular they must have no more bugs than the
> version already in testing, must not break any packages, and must
> install on all platforms.  The discussion you are referring to is one
> year old.  At that time there was change from glibc 2.2 to 2.3, which
> is a large change and caused some people (not me) to have problems.
> But the problems were there in unstable too.  Now, testing is very
> close to being frozen for final release and is suitable for daily use.

As I said, "However, now as we are close to a stable release I think
upgrading to testing is quite safe."

But testing is never ment to be consistent in between stable releases.
Testing completely broke tetex for my while writing my thesis (this
august/september) and I had to get back to the stable release (and also
delete files to get it work again). Same problem with Gnome. The reason
was that not all the package that one needed were available in testing.

--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."