* FW: Is the Writing on the Wall for Ada?
@ 2003-09-30 15:56 Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2003-09-30 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

(Marin, sorry, previously I replied to you only, by mistake.)

> I suppose it would not hurt too much to make a Bounded_String
> version.
> More for completeness than anything else. (It would look kind
> of silly
> to be able to do a Get_Line or Put_Line of String or Unbounded_String
> but not Bounded_String, right?) But I'd be curious to know if
> there is
> *anybody* out there using Bounded_String on a regular basis.

Bounded_String is useful--and actually used by people. However I don't
agree with multiplying every string-related tool by the three string
versions. Please do them for String only. Keep the ARM small.

* RE: FW: Is the Writing on the Wall for Ada?
@ 2003-10-07 16:08 amado.alves
From: amado.alves @ 2003-10-07 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Craig Carey wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:56:56 +0100, Mário Amado Alves
> <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> wrote:
> >
> >Bounded_String is useful--and actually used by people.
> However I don't
> >agree with multiplying every string-related tool by the three string
> >versions. Please do them for String only. Keep the ARM small.
> >

> That suggests balancing reasoning, so on balance your
> conclusion is to be rejected. One grounds for that could be:
> "Bounded Strings is a useful package." There may not be any
> principle saying that the RM has to be small. What can be
> discarded (even if ignoring your hints that your view is
> wrong) is the balancing. At the time of Ada 95, a rationale
> was formulated and followed. If there is a rationale in words
> behind the idea "keep the ARM small" then do state that for me.

I meant *Ada.Strings.Bounded* is useful, not bounded strings everywhere. Just one variety is enough for the each tool, given that there are already conversion utilities to/from the other varieties. How would you regard multiplying Ada.Text_IO by all string varieties?

To my knowledge there is no written rationale for keeping the ARM small, but I perceive it as a tacit requirement--and actually indicated by some people, specially educators.

And I fear that multiplying each tool by every string variety can consume the 'very finite' ARG and community resources that could be devoted to more needed things e.g. persistent containers.

"Keep the ARM small" is backed up by these *two* forces.