* Problems installing Glade
@ 2003-09-02 19:51 Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-02 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok...

Redhat 9.0

I installed gnat 3.15p and set my path to point to the distribution
installation
(/usr/gnat/bin).

Run gnatmake -v foo

[mc2-sim@mankind gnat]$ gnatmake -v foo

GNATMAKE 3.15p  (20020523) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
End of compilation
gnatmake: "foo" not found

So the correct version is invoked, rather then the system installed version
(3.2.2).

Run the glade configure script as root...

[root@mankind glade-3.15p-src]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gnuawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for adagcc... no
checking for gnatgcc... gnatgcc
checking if the Ada compiler works... yes
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for executable suffix... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gnused... no
checking for gsed... no
checking for sed... sed
checking for gtar... gtar
checking for ar... ar
checking for rm... rm
checking for gunzip... gunzip
checking for gnatmake... gnatmake
checking for GNAT sources... ada
checking for gnatls... gnatls
checking for sed... (cached) sed
checking if the Ada compiler is recent enough... yes
checking which platform-specific variant to use... Linux
checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O...

And just sits there...

Anyone got any ideas ?
I'll let it sit all night in case this is something that takes awhile.

Thanke
Joe Simon

* Re: Problems installing Glade
@ 2003-09-03 19:09 ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-03 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> wrote in message
> Ok...
>
> Redhat 9.0
>
> I installed gnat 3.15p and set my path to point to the distribution
> installation
> (/usr/gnat/bin).
>
> Run gnatmake -v foo
>
> [mc2-sim@mankind gnat]$ gnatmake -v foo
>
> GNATMAKE 3.15p  (20020523) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software Foundation,
> Inc.
> End of compilation
> gnatmake: "foo" not found
>
> So the correct version is invoked, rather then the system installed
version
> (3.2.2).
>
> Run the glade configure script as root...
>
> [root@mankind glade-3.15p-src]# ./configure
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... found
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake... found
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... found
> checking for gnuawk... no
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> checking for adagcc... no
> checking for gnatgcc... gnatgcc
> checking if the Ada compiler works... yes
> checking for Cygwin environment... no
> checking for mingw32 environment... no
> checking for executable suffix... no
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for gnused... no
> checking for gsed... no
> checking for sed... sed
> checking for gtar... gtar
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for rm... rm
> checking for gunzip... gunzip
> checking for gnatmake... gnatmake
> checking for GNAT sources... ada
> checking for gnatls... gnatls
> checking for sed... (cached) sed
> checking if the Ada compiler is recent enough... yes
> checking which platform-specific variant to use... Linux
> checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O...
>
> And just sits there...
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?
> I'll let it sit all night in case this is something that takes awhile.
>
> Thanke
> Joe Simon

Still having same prolem. Installation hangs at
"checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O..."

Ideas ? Anyone ? Please ? Help ?

I really, really want to play with distributed applications in Ada !

thanks !

@ 2003-09-03 21:14   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-09-03 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> writes:

> "Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> wrote in message
> > Run the glade configure script as root...
> >
> > [root@mankind glade-3.15p-src]# ./configure
[...]
> > checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O...
> >
> > And just sits there...

This faintly rings a bell to me.  I seem to remember that Red Hat
patched their kernel and glibc to include NPTL (New Portable Threads
Library).  It may be that glade-3.15p has problems with it.  I would
suggest you look for a way to disable NPTL (perhaps with an
environment variable, or by writing to a file under /proc).

Also, perhaps using a stock kernel instead of Red Hat's patched kernel
may help.

Sorry I don't have any more specifics.  I hope this at least points
you in the right direction.  FWIW, I've had no problems compiling
glade on a Debian (testing) box with linux 2.4.20-smp and glibc 2.3.1.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Problems installing Glade
@ 2003-09-04 15:25     ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-04 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic.brenta@skynet.be> wrote in message
> "Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> writes:
>
> > "Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> wrote in message
> > > Run the glade configure script as root...
> > >
> > > [root@mankind glade-3.15p-src]# ./configure
> [...]
> > > checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O...
> > >
> > > And just sits there...
>
> This faintly rings a bell to me.  I seem to remember that Red Hat
> patched their kernel and glibc to include NPTL (New Portable Threads
> Library).  It may be that glade-3.15p has problems with it.  I would
> suggest you look for a way to disable NPTL (perhaps with an
> environment variable, or by writing to a file under /proc).
>
> Also, perhaps using a stock kernel instead of Red Hat's patched kernel
> may help.
>
> Sorry I don't have any more specifics.  I hope this at least points
> you in the right direction.  FWIW, I've had no problems compiling
> glade on a Debian (testing) box with linux 2.4.20-smp and glibc 2.3.1.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Thanks, but this sounds like more than I want to bite off. I just wanna
develop software, not muck with kernals, etc.

@ 2003-09-05  8:47       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-09-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Simon wrote:
> Thanks, but this sounds like more than I want to bite off. I just wanna
> develop software, not muck with kernals, etc.

Ask at the gtkada mailinglist. One thing that would be helpfull is the
information in the config.log file f.ex.

Preben

* Re: Problems installing Glade
@ 2003-09-08 14:39         ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> Ask at the gtkada mailinglist. One thing that would be helpfull is the
> information in the config.log file f.ex.
>
> Preben

You mean the mail list for the graphical toolkit. Are you sure that is an
appropriate place to ask questions about installing Glade ?

also, are you saying you want me to post the config.log ?

Thanks,
Joe

* Re: Problems installing Glade
@ 2003-09-08 16:49           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-09-08 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> writes:

> "Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> > Ask at the gtkada mailinglist. One thing that would be helpfull is the
> > information in the config.log file f.ex.
> >
> > Preben
>
> You mean the mail list for the graphical toolkit. Are you sure that is an
> appropriate place to ask questions about installing Glade ?

There are two things called "Glade"; the distributed system builder,
and the GUI builder. It's usually clear from context which is meant,
but apparently this got confused here. I can't tell from this snippet
which is meant.

GtkAda GLADE is the GUI builder.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Problems installing Glade
@ 2003-09-08 19:55             ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-08 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in message
> "Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> writes:
>
> > "Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> > > Ask at the gtkada mailinglist. One thing that would be helpfull is the
> > > information in the config.log file f.ex.
> > >
> > > Preben
> >
> > You mean the mail list for the graphical toolkit. Are you sure that is
an
> > appropriate place to ask questions about installing Glade ?
>
> There are two things called "Glade"; the distributed system builder,
> and the GUI builder. It's usually clear from context which is meant,
> but apparently this got confused here. I can't tell from this snippet
> which is meant.
>
> GtkAda GLADE is the GUI builder.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

Ok, gothca, This question refers to the Ada Distributed computation, annex-e
compliant implementation.

To re-iterate...

Attempting to install the Glade (Ada Distributed computation, annex-e
compliant implementation0 on a redhat 9 box. I downgraded the compiler to
the 3.15p version, and attempted to run the configure script

The script hangs...

[...]

hangs at this blocking io call. I have been advised to find a kernal patch
or some such. I am not a kernal hacker nor sys admin. i just want to
experiment with the distributed aspects of Ada.

Can anyone offer a sane way to get Glade to build ?

thanks
Joe Simon
WB2JQT