From: Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org>
Subject: Re: Nuclear Reactors & Blackout
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:20:39 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2003-08-16T09:20:39+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert C. Leif wrote:
> According to the US press, the reactors in New York State and other areas
> had to be shut down because there was a risk of an incident if the auxiliary
> power from the rest of the grid was lost. This approach to hazard analysis
> should be named Fail-For-Sure.

I read that it was the irregularity on the power grid which caused them
to shut down to protect themselves?

> Since France and other countries obtain much of their power from nuclear
> reactors, it is worthwhile to inquire what if anything they have done to
> eliminate Fail-For-Sure? And obviously, does the use of Ada help in
> eliminating Fail-For-Sure?

Sorry, don't know. But I thought this wasn't to do with software rather
hardware and the elements? I think it is a general upgrade of the grid
(and it's infrastructure) that is needed?

In Norway we only have hydroelectricity (well except
for the electricity we have to import during winter). The agecy for the
electricity in Norway said a blackout with the same magnitude (relative
to the size of the country and population of course) couldn't happen as
the grid was more desentralised.

I'm more worried about east Europe nuclear plants and their
maintainance. And of course the heap of rusting Russian nuclear submarines
up in north Russia close to over border.

Preben
--
�I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet.
 So who am I to judge.�